Posts by ciphercomplete

I have never tried any of the consumer cards like Asus.  One thing to consider is that pro level cards have transformer coupled outputs which would help greatly in isolating your dac from your computer.  There are probably some consumer cards with this as well though.     Pro cards are expensive though.  I got mine on Ebay for less than half the retail price and there are usually a bunch on there.  Gearslutz.com often has used cards on their for sale/trade page.
Seriously, if you have no need for DSD and you have the space in your pc get a pci express pro sound card like the Lynx e22, RME HDSPe or Digigram vx222e.  Better sound and no usb related nervosa. I dumped usb last year (and a bunch of stuff like the wyrd, regen, Singzer f-1 etc) and I couldn't be happier.  I am not sure why it is not discussed more but computer to computer, laptop to laptop etc, usb computer output quality is way too variable.  USB dac input cards also...
This makes me even more interested to hear a Master 7 version with the new modules.
 $10k for a passive huh?  lol.  There must be something really special in the two silver cylinders in that thing. Just to "arse-hole" this thread up a bit further, I've always thought that the "pre" in preamp meant "before" the amp section - "before the signal gets to the amp".  So I never had a problem with "passive preamp" and now you are telling me that "active preamp" is redundant.   A couple passives that I have...
I can't wait to hear your impressions.
I don't doubt this, like I said I chased 1704 dacs for around 10 years so I come from a place of love lol.  Perhaps "ills" is the wrong word as I have always been able to see why one would prefer the M7 to the Yggy.  I tend to view the Yggy and Gumby as superior because they do the high resolution thing that DS dacs do well (thats the only thing they do well IMO) and they retain that R2R magic.  Having said all that I am way more excited for a DA M1 based Singularity 7...
Yep.  The other one is some MSB variety that because I knew I would never purchase (due to the awful price/performance ratio) I didn't bother remembering the details.  I am pretty sure it was one of the older ones though, maybe a Diamond IV. 
Being a DS hater for the most part I rather like the 1704.  Over the past 10 years Ive owned something like 4-5 dacs that used the chips from companies including audio gd, lite audio, monarchy.  All have suffered to some extent from somewhat rounded bass, slightly rolled off highs, poorer soundstage depth all in comparison to other r2r dacs.  I really don't see how a new dsp would change the overall character of the chip but that is not a hugely bad thing as I have only...
I can't wait to read some impressions of the new module.  Hopefully it cures some of the 1704's ills.