Posts by Gu Sensei

Yes!   After a few years of swapping open headphones in and out for my office use, I finally tried some powered speakers-- Focal CMS 40 powered speakers and haven't looked back. In terms of soundstage and comfort, they of course totally own any headphones that I had previously used. They sound fantastic overall but perhaps the lowest bass is lost. I need to keep the volume reasonable to not disturb colleagues next door but I do not miss any knocks on my office door now....
I had them on briefly at headphones shop in Tokyo yesterday. Used my Sony A17 and cycled through a few of my go-to tracks. The treble stuck out a bit and seemed a little peaky for my liking. Everything else sounded nice, reasonably balanced. For such a short listening period, there probably isn't too much value there.   However, I was mostly curious about the fit when I tried them on. Some AT cans I have owned (W1000, W11jpn, L3000) were amazingly comfortable, like my...
Cool. Thanks. I figured it out. I was trying to find the editing options at the album level, but I needed to go into the individual track to get the edit Music option to appear in the options list. In iTunes there is a grouping option for compilation albums that keeps all of the Artist field info intact but pulls the tracks out of the main by Artist listing and puts them in a Compilations category when listing by Artist. There is nothing quite so simple with this system. I...
I have a large selection of compilation albums-- (e.g., Hits of the 80's) and iTunes nicely groups them within a Compilations folder rather than dispersing them throughout the library by Artist. When I transferred that folder to the S1, that Compilations grouping was lost. The number of artists has now increased 5-fold at least. On the plus side, I am more aware of what was in those compilations, but so many of my 'Artists' just represent a single track or two. It makes it...
Just came home with the HAP-S1. Initial set up went fine and am now transferring files from my iMac. Based on what has been written so far, I am going to do it in chunks. My current strategy is by artist in alphabetical order. Not sure if that is the best way, but will see as I go along. I don't mind starting over if I have to.   I got in the 'A's okay- all the tracks, all the artwork. Working on the 'B's now.   I have never been totally sure what iTunes is doing with...
 As evidenced by Byrnie’s comments, it might be best to hear them for yourself before drawing this conclusion. There are notable differences in the frequency responses of these phones that will be hard to dispute (although some will, this is HeadFi after all).  I think it is reasonable to say that the TH900s have more treble presence, particularly in the upper end. It is a pretty big swing to my ears with the TH900s having too much and the Z7s too little for my personal...
I have had these for a little more than a week and have been going back and forth among the Z7, TH900, and D7000.  I think they are all somewhat cut from the same cloth and probably fans of one will be interested in the others. Here are a few rudimentary comparisons and some general impressions.   Source: Apple lossless files fed to PS Audio DLIII Amp: Audio Technica AT-HA5000, A.K.A. ‘Raffinato’   For reference, I was head over heals for the D7000s when they first...
Totally missed this thread. Here is the official announcement of the TH500RP.   http://www.fostex.jp/news/437
Sorry if this is already old news:   http://www.fostex.jp/news/437       It will be at the Fujiya Avic Spring Headphone Festival, May 10th & 11th, in stores in Japan in July.     Fujiya Blog      
Some brief, first impressions   I stumbled across these on a recent trip to Tokyo and spent about 20 minutes or so with them and my iPod in a somewhat noisy setting. Keeping in mind the conditions and the very limited exposure, I thought they sounded quite good- a very full-bodied sound, prominent bass, present but not peaky treble, and nice imaging. The bass seemed a bit tighter on the 2000s, but beyond that it was a little too difficult to discern clear...