Posts by Jam_Master_J

My opinion is not valid because I don't have hundreds of dollars sunk into parts that, in my experience, make so significant difference to the sound?  I've got nothing against listening subjectively, I pick all my other parts based on sound not specs.   Yes I do legitimately do believe people are pulled in with a certain kind of placebo effect and that it could be associated with their perceptions of things that are more physical and less electrical.  I'd bet money...
It would depend on the application.  For a headphone recable, depending on the length the 26 AWG may add a small amount of extra resistance.  For say an RCA connection we are talking line level with high input impedance so resistance is not much of an issue here.   Big Poppa, My comment above was deleted so I won't repost since it was obviously done for a reason, but one particular comment I didn't mean to make was to endorse locking connectors.  I was moreso trying...
What exactly about the silver impedes the low end dynamics?  Does this mean that in a silver-plated copper the bass frequencies will propogate through the copper core while the mids and highs stick to the silver coating?
I think there are a couple reasons silver cables sound better to some listeners, both are mental:   1) The (true) fact that silver has a lower resistance.  This idea promotes the idea of a conductor that is faster, more revealing (even if electrically it doesn't have this effect).  Not to mention, the small difference in resistance is quite minor compared to other inline resistances.  Not to mention, a 3 foot copper cable (properly terminated) will have lower...
  Guitar patch cable:  Neutrik 1/4" TS connectors, Canare GS6 cable and some heatshrink
I am about to build a guitar patch cable.  I've got plenty of experience with cables but had one particular question.  It uses a 1/4" TS connector (I'm using Neutrik connectors on Canare GS6 cable) and will naturally see pretty hard use compared to my hi-fi cables.  I'm debating whether to apply heatshrink or not and I see 3 options:   1) Apply no heatshrink (keeps everything easy to repair if I ever need to fix something) 2) Apply heatshrink over cable and barrel...
Since you are looking at recabling, stay away from Techflex covering for your cable. Use nylon or nothing at all. Techflex is very microphonic and every movement or drag of the cable may transmit noise into your ears.   A smaller starquad type cable is probably your best bet. The trickier spot could be the Y point. If using a starquad, you will be sending two conductors to one earcup and two conductors to the other, leaving behind the jacket and shield.   You...
No luck fixing that photo I posted on the last page. Even with my new iron and Panavise I just don't have the finesse to pull this off, I accidentally pushed one of the caps out of place. Anyone willing to take a look at it for me?
I accidentally pulled the DAC connections out from an imod'ed Gen4 while changing the battery. Can someone advise me where to reconnect them? The pads didn't seem to rip off with it so I hope I can fix it.