Posts by papa_snap

no, I'm with you. They have many good qualities, but I was disappointed with the highs - vocals in particular were a weak point for me, a quick comparison against my home hifi, my grados & alessandros, and my etymotics left me disappointed, especially given they cost near double as much as the ER-4's. If I didn't have any of those to compare against, I'd probably think they were great. But I do, so I can't ignore it. I tried hard to like the W3s, but after a week or so...
what I'm really looking for, I guess, would be an "ER-5" - a direct successor made by etymotic as a high end IEM, eg a dual driver design (keeping the nice high end and adding another driver to handle the low end), and with updated ergonomics (similar to the more recent Westone 3, etc). I guess the high end market is pretty flooded at the moment, but I'm suprised after all these years etymotic haven't bought out a new high-end phone - they've mostly just worked with...
thanks everyone! very condiderate & helpful responses sounds pretty much just as I was expecting - there's any number of "sidegrades", but no clear upgrades - looks like I'll be buying another pair of ER-4P's then! I guess I might as well try the apuresound upgrade too. Oh - it does sound like the UE10/11 customs might be a real upgrade, but with the aussie dollar very weak at the moment I can't see myself buying US$1k earphones for a while! as a few people noted...
Quick observation: Listening to the Westone 3's make the ER-4P's sound tinny. Listening to the ER-4P's make the Westone 3's sound boomy! can't win, can I?
Hi all! The Etymotic ER4P (or S) is definately not to everyone's liking, and is certainly not perfect. People have different tastes - which is why I want to limit this question to people who have extensively used the ER4 and didn't just like it, they loved it. I love the ER-4P (tried the S, but preferred the P) for a number of reasons, but first and foremost is it's remarkable clarity in the top half of the spectrum - nothing else I've heard sounds so clear and...
not familiar with them, and i notice that article is dated nearly 2 years ago - I would think they would be obsolete now. audiocubes stocks the current kenwood lineup (which seems to have a great reputation for sound quality). try looking for reviews on the current lineup. AudioCubes.com - MP3 Players ps - off topic, i too have a yashica GSN - as well as a lovely zeiss ikon zm and leica m6 ttl .58x. anyway, sorry to digress
what's the FS mod? I'm curious (didn't find it with a search)
Quick additional note - for International Buyers I accept Paypal, for Australian locals I prefer direct bank depost. Thanks all!
Hello all! For sale are a pair of immaculate black UE SuperFi 5 Pro's, purchased just days ago from another head-fi member to replace my old (& sadly dead) Etymotic ER-4P's. The super-fi 5 pro's are far more balanced (giving a much more accomplished overall sound) than my venerable ER-4's, thanks to their twin driver design, but 3 years of living with those bass-thin & high-frequency prejudiced Ety's has left me brainwashed to their sound, so I think I'll return to...
Bought UE SuperFi 5 Pro's of visia, great communications, was great to deal with him - would do again for sure!