Posts by cactus_farmer

Thanks - wait, you're actually saying you perceive the DT880 to be more bassy than the HD650, because of the quickness and punchiness of the bass?
Does anyone have both HD650 and DT880 on hand to directly compare bass quantity?
bump...?   Anyone else want to comment on whether they think the ZX700 is in the same league as the M50, but different - or if the M50 is simply better?   Also, is there anything else with an 'n' shaped sound signature?
What I mean by pro audio is that there are often peaks and clipping in the material that haven't been removed because the material is raw and hasn't been mastered. This clipping could potential damage the drivers of headphones. Consumer headphones may not be 'tough' enough in their drivers to handle these peaks and may be damaged by them. The crinkling of one of the drivers of my K701 back when I had it may be because I exposed them to unmastered recordings. Hopefully...
Does anyone know if the K702 has more power handling or durable drivers than the K701 in order to handle pro audio?   Or are they literally exactly the same apart from color and that detatchable cable?
Yes, but doesn't explain difference in soundstage between open headphones...
What is actually going on to make some headphones have a larger soundstage than others? I'll admit I have no idea.   Does the recession of mids have anything to do with it? For example, the DT880 has slightly recessed mids relative to the bass and highs. It does sound like there is a sense of space because of the 'hole' in the midrange, whereas something like a HD650 fills in that hole and thus sounds more congested...? I'm not sure if the K701 also has a similar...
[BEGIN QUOTE] soundtage is too wide and it creates trouble for the midrange. As John Grado reportedly said a few years ago (speaking about the GS-1000 if I recall correctly),when designing a headphone you can either have intimate and engaging mids, or a wide soundstage, but not both. And by and large, even if he didn't say it, I would agree with that claim. The 701 unfortunately fit into the later category - they have a wide soundstage, and as a result don't have...
I've heard some very good headphones referred to as 'grainy', and other headphones referred to as having a 'black background' - which apparently means free of grain.   'Grainy' sounds a negative connotation to me, yet I'm not sure that having a 'black' or 'grainless' sound is entirely good either - as it may be smoothing over the grain that is meant to be there.   This terminology confuses me.   Could someone explain what a grainy sound is? And is it always a...
bump - has no-one heard the X1/L1?