Posts by Santamaria

I use Manley as preamp and headphone amp, with an amp similar to yours, prologue seven with EL34. My speakers are  Sonus Faber Auditor, but most of the time I use headphones. In general I prefer speakers, but I live in an apartment. Perhaps because when using speakers I need to listen to moderate levels I have the feelling that dynamics are limited. I do not have another pre amp, but lately I have beeen using as preamp the violectric V200 (a headphone amp) with results...
There are few users of the manley pre, and little information in the web. It is great to have the possibility of commenting on it. The manley has many good qualities and it is not surprising that you are enjoying it. Sometimes the limitations of a piece of equipment are only noted after long use. It is possible that you would find the sound of the manley perfect during the next fifty years, but it is not probable. Human hearing  has an extraordinary perfection. Biologist...
Musicophile, I have used the manley pre during the past 3 years, both as preamp and headphone amp, and yes I love it, but I also hate it. It gives to music a body, harmonic richness and smoothness that can not be compared to other equipment I have tried. I would say that the manley gives to music a tactile quality, once you hear it you want it. BUT you have a few problems, the most important is the lack of treble that makes the sound dry in the long run; the second...
HD800: they are lighter and the sound more open. You can listen to the them for longer periods, yet I prefer the sound of LCD2
After much reading in this thead I finally ordered Violectric V200 for the LCD2. Thanks to Santacore y Tigzstudio whose opinions finally decided me. I loved the V200 two seconds after I connected the LCD-2. The sound is full, warm, rich with plenty of power, completely to my likings, although other people will prefer a sonud more lean y clear. It is clearly superior to phonitor, earmax and 3X-cans. Others cans: I have owned a W5000 for a couple of years, and the first...
The character of LCD2 changes notably with analog sorurces. With digital sources the sound is a bit weighty with a reduce soundstage that in the long run can be a little tyring. Perhaps there is a concensus that this is the signature of LCD. With analog the signature changes completely  to a bigger sounstage, better separation, more airy presentation, softer and more nuances notes with more harmonic richnes. Naturally with analog you lack the dynamics and general clarity...
I have seen a new cable for LCD-2 in ALO website "12 wie SCX" but couldn't find any information in head-fi about it. Is it what in some theads in called the V2 of the ALO Cable or is a new one?
I received my LCD-2 a few days ago and I am quite happy with them. In the past years I have gone through HD650, GS1000, W5000 y HD800  in what now seems to my a expensive and sad trip. LCD-2 is not just better that others cans I have tried, for me is a new experience of musical richness and smoothness. It is worth to look for a perfecc amp for this gem.  I have tried 3 amp and will comment briefly my impressions on them. My source is Marantz 7s1      - Manley...
I am in the same situation that you, I have just ordered UM3X and thinking about a portable amp. I will use a Ipod classic, and the first question is if I really need an amp. Any sugestions will be welcome.
I have w5000 and love it. It has a lot of detail and richness, and for me they are very very good. I think they are a lot better thar gs1000 or HD650.But w5000 have a problem that I am not sure how to express, a coldness or lack of warm. Reading some theads I found that most people feel the same. I dream with w5000 with this problem solved, and try to figure if it can be the AX2000. Some post in this thead seem to suggest so. Any comment will be welcome. Pardon for my bad...