Posts by Mython

I trust Peter remembered to fill the CIEM with inert gas, too  
  Yeah, well, I'll believe that koolaid when I see real owners say it, after a few months of ownership. AK240 was supposed to be the best DAP on the market but plenty of dissatisfied customers gradually crawling out of the woodwork, as time goes by. There are far too many people giving A&K free passes for numerous shortcomings and hyper-high pricing. For an example of this, take a look at the AK240SS thread. Look how it started out and look what it has evolved into,...
  I don't care about DSD. Most of my music is no higher than 96k, and the stuff that is higher than that, I tend to downsample to 96 or 88.2, etc., anyway.  Battery capacity hit is a shame, I admit. Amp power... well, I would definitely like to see more than 75mw available, for real clout on music peaks, but it's not as absurd as Sony's ZX1/ZX2 (15mw)  So, yeah, definite compromises, but it does have a digital-out, unlike it's much more expensive bigger brother.  And...
AK380 looks like more of a side-grade, for AK240 owners, + a few connectivity improvements, rather than an outright upgrade.   I don't anticipate the change of DAC chips bringing an earth-shattering level of difference, vs the Cirrus chips in the 240. Much of the performance bottle-neck in the AK240 may well lie in the amplification stage, and Vinnie seems, at least partially, to concur, if one looks at his RWA mods for the AK240.
  It will be interesting to see how much PAW Gold magic transfers down to the PAW 5000. Never going to be the same level of performance, of course, but I'm very curious to know how much makes it into the cheaper model...
Look a little deeper beneath the surface and you might understand why I feel they are such a deeply and thoroughly obnoxious company. It's more than just the obvious.     Anyway,   I hope this iRiver Jr DAP competes on-par with offerings in the same price-bracket.   If it does, then great - it is nice to see some more compact DAPs finally creeping into the audiophile DAP marketplace. I still use my old Cowon J3 because it is so compact.
  Yes, I wonder if iRiver decided they maybe just weren't ripping-off their customers enough, and maybe weren't playing on their customers' psychological inadequacies enough - and maybe urgently needed to do something about that. Now, following the creation of a 'premium' brandname, a bucketload of shiny marketing, some chummy friendships with certain influential people, and the result is that customers can feel a tiny bit less inadequate, with the reassurance that buying...
  You are referring to singing, right?
  I appreciate that it might be an uncomfortable question for them to answer, but it's a totally legitimate question that they should answer, if they're profiting from it as an expensive optional addition to an already insanely-overpriced DAP.
  $500-600 is fast becoming the sweet-spot, thankfully (Soundaware Esther, Questyle QP1, Lotoo PAW 5000, etc.), so those of us without wheelbarrows of surplus/disposable ca$h don't need to line the pockets of greedy A&K  At the same time, those of you who are desperate to throw several thousand bucks at A&K have the option to do so. Happy days...