Posts by Mython

Sansa Clip                         It grieves me to say it, but the AK240 will play DSD natively (AFAIK, AK120 ii will play, but not natively). Dunno about actually getting it over to the Hugo, intact, without conversion, though, given bandwidth limitations of the D-O. I'm not the expert on such things, but my (limited) understanding is that to send very hi-res (in excess of 24/192) formats over digital, asynchronous USB is currently the 'only' viable option. Happy to be...
  You really don't need an instruction manual for the ZX1, if you have some familiarity with smartphones and/or with modern DAPs. There are a couple of annoying foibles in the UI, but overall it's a pretty self-explanatory UI which can be learned very quickly and easily. The proprietary connector is available direct from Japan - yes, that's a pain, but let's face it, one needs to jump through a few hoops to get the DAP itself, so if one can manage that, one can just as...
 Sadly, you have to buy the Walkman's proprietary OTG cable as an optional extra. OK-Guy can guide you as to where to obtain (probably best to order it directly from Japan). The correct model number is: WMC-NWH10   Just to be even-handed about this, have you considered the Fiio X5 or iBasso DX90? They're easy to obtain, relatively economical, and both offer co-ax out.I have enjoyed using the ZX1 with the Hugo, but I will admit that the ZX1 power goes down pretty rapidly...
 I can confirm that the ZX1 is extremely reliable to connect to the Hugo. It doesn't even pause to undergo a noticeable 'handshake' - it just plays within approximately 1 second of being connected. Sweet!
   Hmmm.... really? Well, then, I guess Chord should be 'flattered'... [/end sarcasm]  So why hasn't the so-called 'amazeballs' AK240 been moved here, too, then?  Either the AK240 isn't as 'amazeballs' as some are saying it is, or perhaps someone doesn't like Chord getting so much publicity in the Portable Source Gear thread?  The Hugo costs roughly 70% of the price of the AK240, yet the AK240 doesn't get moved? I suspect that there is much less traffic in the High-end...
So, to perform at audiophile level, I need to buy a perk for use with headphones or I need to buy a perk for use with IEMs/CIEMs   and then, if I need the UI to perform at a decent level, I need to buy a smartphone, too?   I fail to see what on earth the point of this half-baked, incomplete, contraption is.   iBasso must be laughing their arses off. They're providing audiophile performance WITH a (not perfect) but properly usable UI and a respectable screen, and all...
    Hey, Light Harmonic - here's an idea for a perk - how about a UI that's actually worth using..?
DELETE
DELETE
 First option that popped into my head was Weiss Saracon, but it ain't cheap. FWIW, there are some interesting musings on the topic of DSD=>PCM conversion here: http://archimago.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/analysis-comparison-of-dsd-encoders.html