Posts by Mython

Seriously, though.   Very, very careful use of a craft knife would rectify the issue, would it not?   Not for the faint-hearted, but not rocket-science, either
Easy fix, though...
  If Lotoo are wise, they won't try to race.  We both know that. I would, however, like to see the PAW Gold product updated to have a digital-out (I know that's quite a technical thing to implement, so I'm not implying that it's an 'easy' update - I'm simply saying I'd like to see them accomplish it, as they have included D-O on their much cheaper PAW 5000 DAP). I would expect that they would not charge $500-$1000 more for the revised PAW GOLD flagship, over the existing...
   LOL   ...   To answer your questions; for the past couple of years, I've been too skint to afford expensive luxuries, but I'm getting back on my feet, now, after a long bout of ill-health. But even when I am again able to afford decent gear, I will not be buying anything from iRiver unless they have, by that point, changed their business approach for the better. I've played with the AK240 at times, and, mostly, think it's a nice (and nice-sounding) piece of kit, but I...
  Hmmm... and what if a customer feels the firmware never did function properly, at any point during the life-cycle of the DAP? What then? Could it ever truly be considered 'TOTL' if it had firmware faults all along, that were never solved?   What if a 3 grand DAP requires sticky tape to make it function correctly? Is that a lifestyle choice one should just 'deal with'?  The above are genuine questions, and I am curious about your answers.   AnakChan, I do appreciate that...
  Yes, that's a fair retort. However, my sarcasm was primarily due to the timing of the SS release, which was a kick in the teeth for some, what with the AK380 being announced so soon afterwards, and the fact that many examples of the SS have serious issues with some 2.5mm TRRS plugs. These customers should be being taken very good care of, but there is a lot of discontentment about the situation, in the dedicated AK240SS thread, as I expect you are aware.
  Thankyou for the explanation. Does this mean that standard AK240 owners can take their devices back to their dealers, for this fault to be solved by an engineer?
  I can think of at least 3 possible reasons:  1) Placebo 2) Cynical attempt to shift stock prior to new model announcement 3) Magic  But there could be some more technical reasons, too
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/763752/astell-kern-ak380/495#post_11604729
  Oh, pleeeeze....  AK are iRiver. Let's not pretend otherwise. And iRiver didn't 'discover' any market. They produced respectable but middle-of-the-road mp3 players for years, and then seemingly decided one day to cynically exploit those audiophiles around the world who cannot restrain themselves from spending disproportionate amounts of cash in order to satisfy their compulsion/addiction. It's barely any different from charging $3,500 for a 12 month supply of whatever...