Posts by Mython

Anything of any real substance? If so, care to share?   
Anyone else notice that there was loads of PR machine activity when the PONO team wanted people to open their wallets, but ever since they've got their money, there has been a deafening silence?   On the one hand, I can respect 'all-hands-on-deck' to bring the product and ecosystem to fruition, but on the other hand, it would be nice if the silence was not quite so deafening as to induce a feeling of abandonment  
Looking forward to hearing some of your upcoming reviews, Joe.   That's nothing new, but I say this now, specifically, because   1) we are witnessing some innovation, here & there, in the CIEM world, and that makes things more interesting - as just one of many possible examples I could cite, I really dig Piotrus-g's Miracle re-shell, that he did, some time ago (NB: you need to click on each picture, to read the narrative description, to understand why this re-shell was...
I think it has become quite obvious, during the past couple of years, that, even taking into account differences in personal taste, not all SE-5s actually sound the same.   If you get lucky, then you get lucky;  If you don't, then you don't.   C'est la vie
    Completely disagree.   SE-5 is the most claustrophobic-sounding CIEM I've ever heard. Like listening to a string quartet playing inside a wardrobe. C'est la vie
  Hmmmm... I'm just editing this post, as Fiio's website is a bit misleading (not deliberately, though) - in the 'Overview' of the X3, they quote the op amp (AD8397) as capable of 300mw into 16 ohms, but in their detailed spec sheet, they quote the DAP itself as delivering 540mw into 16 ohms. Either way, that's quite gutsy for such a small DAP. Coincidentally, they suggest it is suited for use with headphones posing a 16-300 ohm load (which is what you read), but the X3...
  I agree that the wisdom of paying for redundant drivers/components is very questionable and not a path I would personally be willing to spend money on.    However, in designs that do not have redundant drivers, I quite like the idea of being able to play with potentiometers, to tailor the levels of one or more of the drivers, relative to the other drivers. Kind of like the UE PRM, but with the adjustment being incorporated into the CIEM itself, so as to be...
 'assume' nothing!  
CIEM rehab is useless.I reckon we need to tackle the socio-economic problem of CIEM addiction by getting the pushers off the streets/forums, and in this regard, Average_joe should be considered 'public enemy #1', given that he's a notorious repeat offender with a rap-sheet of CIEM-pushing convictions as long as your arm.His systematic efforts to undermine the attempts of fiscal restraint of CIEM-lovers around the world make him a menace to society and to the financial...
The bite block has 3 dimensions. Some bite the biggest dimension, but I feel that is excessive. Middle dimension always works well for my impressions. Very important to keep jaw muscles relaxed! But bite block generally not used for silicone CIEMs - generally only for acrylic CIEMs (hi-dition are an exception). This is discussed earlier in this thread. ALWAYS check on how YOUR CIEM VENDOR likes impressions to be done, as they will have tailored their processing to suit.