Posts by Mython

Ann Peebles:           Also see:   Lynn Collins Patti LaBelle Camille Yarbrough Angie Stone Candi Staton Bettye LaVette Kasia Lins ROX Candi Staton Joy Denalane Maddy Carty Rhianna Kenny Alicia Keys Stephanie McKay Leela James Sasha Keable Natalie Duncan Carleen Anderson Emily King Jill Scott Cleo Sol Lynn Collins Bettye LaVette     For a more bluesy / less soul  alternative, try Marva Wright  
Shirley Brown:  
I'm surprised Millie Jackson does not appear in a thread search...  
Maria Muldaur was briefly mentioned, a few years ago, but no videos posted, and I really think she deserves some:       Muldaur's hit 'Midnight at the Oasis' has been covered by many artists (notably, The Brand New Heavies), but Renee Olstead's is relevant to this thread:  
IMO, the most probable reason for back-catalogue titles to be remastered is not due to fan pressure (though that might occasionally succeed), but rather due to the sheer self-serving greed of record company execs, when they finally start to realise that they can resell old material, and at exorbitant mark-up, just by remastering it and releasing it in higher resolution files.   Basically, 'money for old rope'...   Sony Music and Universal Music Group have already...
I wish you well in your new post, Andy.   I trust that you will do all you can to rectify the absolutely appalling customer service that JHA customers around the world have witnessed in the past 9 months.   No amount of glitzy PR or palm-pressing at trade shows can compensate for poor customer service, in the longterm, even though they may keep the company afloat in the short term.   Consequently, I, and hundreds of others around the world, will be closely watching...
 I very much doubt it.
   Mmmm... well, just to be clear, my cynicism is aimed primarily at the PONO content, and their marketing approach / ethos, rather than the PONO DAP (although I still feel the DAP offers nothing that doesn't already exist, and some customers won't realise that fact). Anyway, yes... we'll all just have to wait and see what happens.
 I admire your optimism, and I hope you will be proven correct (I'd love to see some genuine improvements to the mastering quality of available classic albums in Hi-Res), but please don't presume to speak for the rest of us 'enthusiasts' - some of us are just as entitled to our cynicism of the PONO venture, as you are to your optimism of it.  
 The point is that, from a certain standpoint, PONO appear to be 'baiting-&-switching', knowing that less well-read members of the public will fall for it, hook, line & sinker. PONO are pointing to highly-compressed files (such as those from iTunes) and implying that PONO files will be fantastic sound quality, since they are 24/192, but that totally overlooks the fact that mastering quality is an even more important factor, and...as time goes on, many of us are becoming...