Posts by Tacoboy

What are some good low cost tube amplifiers that work well with the AKG K240 studio?
For some weird reason the only person on the Internet that says Asus Xonar's do not support OpenAL is Roller, everyone else seems to think the Asus Xonar's do support OpenAL. http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/ With the Asus Xonar Essence STX, you can upgrade to newer op-amps as they come available, with most external headphone amplifiers you can not upgrade the op-amps. 99% of the sound card available will allow you to use an external...
Right now the Titanium HD is around $35-$40 less the the Essence STX. I like the Asus over Creative Labs because I find the Asus software is simpler to use, install and driver repairs are easier. You should be able to hook up 5.1 speakers, you would use the digital out from the sound card (which bypass the cards internal processing) to speakers that have a digital input, usually these are the more expensive computer speakers, because they have to have the internals to...
Personally. I'm not a fan of the Sony XB series. Check out the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm cans.
Try PC Wizard.    
Which DT-770 Pro, 80-Ohm or 250-Ohm, If it's the 250-Ohm, you will need a headphone amplifier.    
Maybe able to get away with out spending your whole budget. Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm, nice sound for bass heads.    
I own the AD700s and I do like them for easy relaxing long term listening, but really bass light, and being open means you hear everything around you. Cheap way to go is the Asus Xonar DG and the Superlux HD-668B The Xonar DG has the headphone amp. and has Dolby Headphone 5.1 So you can take full advantage of Dolby Digital 5.1 in DVD movies Comes with GX  2.5 which emulates (somewhat) EAX 5.0   The Superlux HD-668B is as good a headphone you can get for it's...
I just used the Titanium HD as the lowest cost (of the higher end) sound cards with built in headphone amp. as an example. I just bought a used Essence STX last week, already upgraded the 2 headphone op-amps from 2114D to LME49860NA. (I'm also looking at even upgrading to the LME49990 op-amps) Nice thing about using the STX is everything is built into one device (headphone amp. and Dolby Headphone 5.1) You can get a external headphone amplifier starting at $50. but it may...
Someone might be trying to sell you some used headphones as new. Other people have been sold M50s in a beat up box and used sub-quality condition. Any chance you could tell us who sold them to you and how much you paid?