Posts by ambchang

I once built a magnum with wood inserts/sleeves and a set of SR325 Goldies cups, with self braided cables using BTG wire (I think they were stripped canare cables or something).  The sound was phenomenal, but unfortunately for me, it was built for another head-fier after we talked a few times.  The headphones sound great, and I have yet to duplicate that magic since with other headphones.   I am building an all aluminum version now though.  Will likely just purchase a...
I only have the Stax SRM1-MK2, and it indeed improves the Koss ESP-950 by quite a margin, and I am not the type of guy that says everything is night and day.   I have the Westone UM2 and had the Roxannes and the Mentor, but I am not calling the differences between them night and day.  Yes, the Roxanne and the Mentor are certainly better than the UM2, but I'd say the jump from a stock ESP-950 to the one driven by a Stax SRM1-MK2 improves it by more than that.   If you...
I have a set of plastic sleeves, but I have sent them to a machine shop to make aluminum sleeves in an effort to create an all aluminum housing grado (I already have a set of SR325i sleeves).   The aluminum sleeves will be available in about 3 weeks, and I will get the plastic sleeves back with them.  If you don't mind the wait, I can send it out to you after I have them back, just pay me shipping for them.
I have a set of UM Mentor Universal for sale.   It comes with all original accessories and packaging.   The catch is that the left earpiece is cracked.  The right earpiece is in perfect condition.   The earphones are still under warranty, but the shipping to China with tracking is prohibitively expensive, so I am thinking of selling this to someone in Asia or someone who doesn't mind the crack.   It's a phenomenal earphone, I have owned the Roxanne's, and from a SQ...
Thanks for looking up the screws for me, I will probably buy a whole bunch of them so that I can include them when I send them out.   Here is the latest drawing.  I really hope this is the last iteration, cuz I am itching to build.     Please let me know if anything is missing.  I will ask for the size of the screws required.  I would like to minimize the length of the screws so that they don't stick out (or at least not by much).
 the price I got is about $20 US each ($40 a pair) + shipping.  Also, the three screws to hold in the drivers are not included, so I will have to source those somewhere. Speaking of which, I am looking for those short screws that are straight throughout, without that "head" or "tip' on top, as well as the right length so that nothing sticks out after they are installed.  Does anybody know where I can find those, and what is the official name of those screws so that I can...
:LOL, I mean I will post. I am not sure if I posted on the wrong thread again, not sure if I previously posted the aluminum cups on the Magnum thread or this thread. Regardless, I will assemble the headphones take photos of both the sleeves and the headphones, and then post on both this and the Magnum thread.I have built a few Magnums and modded a few grados before, and so far, the best sounding pair I had was a Magnum 4 build with wooden sleeves and the SR325 cups...
Sorry, I meant gimbals.  Was thinking about the T50RPs. Anyways, upon reading your comments, I went and looked at the diagram again, and noticed that you are right, the holes are 120 degrees from each other, and have only three of them, when I need 4 holes at 90 degrees to each other.  I reached out the machining shop to make sure I got it right.
 Three of the holes close to the lip is for screws to hold in the driver, two holes are for the baffles, one hole for the cable, and one for symmetry.  I hope I am reading the diagram right.
Hope everybody had a good break.   I got a new round of drawing from the machine shop for the aluminum sleeves.     I think every looks good, but still want to run by everyone so that you can spot anything that I missed.   If all goes well, I will place a bulk order.  I will let everyone know once they are available.   I have all the parts ready to make my all aluminum grado/Magnum v4.  Very very excited.