Posts by ambchang

April would work for me, as long as it isn't April 4/5.
Would love to come and check out new gear.   Not much has changed, but want to show off my new all aluminum shelled Magnum 4s.   Took forever to find the drivers and the shells.   Oh, and either days are fine.
I recently sourced a local machining shop to make aluminum sleeves for my magnum v4, completing my dreams of having a full metal magnum headphone.   Problem is, they come in a batch of 50, and I only need 2, so I am now stuck with 48 of these sleeves (24 sets).   I am letting go of these at cost.  $35 USD a set (falling CAD is a good thing!) plus shipping.   Note, these are ONLY the sleeves, and do not include the cups.  You can get the cups elsewhere by procuring...
It's tough to say, the last time I heard a magnum 4 (with wooden sleeves and aluminum cups) was at least 2 years ago.  But based strictly on memory, the sound is just crisper, cleaner and more detailed.  OTOH, I recalled those magnums being warm smooth, analogue sounding if you will. These are still nice and warm, but I just didn't think it was to that degree.  That said, I am not sure if it was because of me getting used to that sound (ESP-950 with Stax amp, some very...
I finally got my aluminum sleeves, and I have posted some photos and a little more info about the sleeves in the magnum thread.   http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/3270#post_11308729   After 2 years, I finally got my project done.
I finally got my aluminum sleeves done.  The intent is to recreate what the magnums were supposed to be, which was full aluminum shells, and they are finally done.   They didn't come out perfect.  The fit for the drivers and the SR325i cups were perfect, so good that they could be friction fit (I put in a little glue just in case), but there are two minor issues with the sleeves.   1) The drill hole for the cable is a little small.  I still managed to fit the cable in,...
I once built a magnum with wood inserts/sleeves and a set of SR325 Goldies cups, with self braided cables using BTG wire (I think they were stripped canare cables or something).  The sound was phenomenal, but unfortunately for me, it was built for another head-fier after we talked a few times.  The headphones sound great, and I have yet to duplicate that magic since with other headphones.   I am building an all aluminum version now though.  Will likely just purchase a...
I only have the Stax SRM1-MK2, and it indeed improves the Koss ESP-950 by quite a margin, and I am not the type of guy that says everything is night and day.   I have the Westone UM2 and had the Roxannes and the Mentor, but I am not calling the differences between them night and day.  Yes, the Roxanne and the Mentor are certainly better than the UM2, but I'd say the jump from a stock ESP-950 to the one driven by a Stax SRM1-MK2 improves it by more than that.   If you...
I have a set of plastic sleeves, but I have sent them to a machine shop to make aluminum sleeves in an effort to create an all aluminum housing grado (I already have a set of SR325i sleeves).   The aluminum sleeves will be available in about 3 weeks, and I will get the plastic sleeves back with them.  If you don't mind the wait, I can send it out to you after I have them back, just pay me shipping for them.
I have a set of UM Mentor Universal for sale.   It comes with all original accessories and packaging.   The catch is that the left earpiece is cracked.  The right earpiece is in perfect condition.   The earphones are still under warranty, but the shipping to China with tracking is prohibitively expensive, so I am thinking of selling this to someone in Asia or someone who doesn't mind the crack.   It's a phenomenal earphone, I have owned the Roxanne's, and from a SQ...