Posts by Chops

bump.
PAYPAL ONLY - WILL ONLY SHIP WITHIN THE 48 CONUS VIA USPS GROUND I just bought these Sennheiser HD-600 cans last month from Etronics. They have maybe 80 hours on them if that, and only 3 or so of those hours on my head. I have only listened to two CDs with them, one of which I listened to twice, Diana Krall and Norah Jones. Things at work have changed quite a bit so I am almost never home to listen to anything. And when I am home, I'm doing work in and around the...
Quote: Originally Posted by dcheming Chops, what kind of car did you borrow? I've done this before too with cars and bikes of friends. Such a great way to experience new machines for free. Hey Derek, Well at first, I was just borrowing it, for a day or two. But now, we have officially switched. We swopped my '02 Miata for his '02 Blazer. Just in the past week alone, I have pulled the roof rack, properly reinstalled and realigned the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Cloth Ears Thanks, Chops - pictures can fool you (the RCA looked the same size). I've managed to take the following pictures of the work in progress, but I'd have to leave it to James to explain exactly what's been done. Please excuse the crappy photography... James circuit diagram of what's currently been done. One picture from above. Another picture from above. And a picture showing the (temporary) set-up for...
Quote: Originally Posted by glitch39 the american 6z4's are tall. so even if you change out the socket, it won't fit the case. the chinese 6z4 is almost like the size of a 12ax7 Well, for one thing, the American 6Z4 is an entirely different tube which also happens to be a full size tube. IF, you wanted to convert over to this tube (if you even can), you would have to relocate it anyway and use a new chassis as the 708B chassis has no room for it,...
There's two different types of 6Z4's out there. The ones you pulled up are the American versions. The Chinese version is the one in our amps. Two totally different tube types, however they might be designed the same internally. I guess if you changed out the tube socket, it might work, but don't quote me on that. Derek would be the one to ask.
Quote: Originally Posted by dcheming Wow, quite a bit happened since I was last here. It's good to have you back Charles. Bummer about the computer virus causing so much trouble. Congrats on the new job though. I've also been making plans to put together a nice two channel system since I'll be moving to San Francisco this summer. Hopefully we'll find a place big enough to have a proper setup. Those Onix X-Statik look interesting. Open baffle...
Quote: Originally Posted by Cloth Ears Ain't that always the way...? I read somewhere on this site (before I'd become a real person and signed up) that someone wasn't sure what the voltage to the audio board should be. So I asked at the source, and received this response: Yeah, you'll have to insert a resistor in the heater curcuit to lower the voltage. Mine was 7.58v and after I installed a 1 ohm - 10 watt resistor, it dropped down to 6.63v....
Quote: Originally Posted by Cloth Ears Hi Head-fi'ers, mine is the 708B that James is modding (also my first post, over from DIYaudio & AudioKarma). I'm going along tomorrow to have a listen and discuss, so I'll take the camera and hopefully have a couple of shots to document the progress. Welcome Cloth Ears! I knew that name sounded familair. I know you from DIY Audio. Looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing what you have to say about...
Quote: Originally Posted by jrhill Yeah, following on from your work and others in this thread is like getting first hand instructions and made the upgrade quite straightforward - many thanks to you and all the others for writing up your work ... jh I'm glad to hear that we were able to help in some way. It is much easier to perform mods to something when you have good instructions and plenty of good pictures to go by. I certainly wouldn't...