Posts by Chops

Another update... I've only had this amp back up and running for a few days now and I've already done another mod to it... Kinda. I had a couple of Solen 51uF caps sitting around that I used in a loudspeaker project a short while back. They were used to absorb any turn-on thump from an amp to a pair of compression horn drivers (as they were connected directly to the amp and were crossed over via a digital x-over). However, there was never any turn-on thump, but just...
Well I just finished uploading the 708B pictures to my site then reinserting them into this thread in all my various posts. I also reinstalled the Mundorf output caps into my amp. They really are much better sounding than the 1500uF caps I had in there. I hope to keep this thread going as it is chalk full of great information. It's simply amazing how far you can take one of these amps. A true sleeper!
I have a pair of 14+ year old MDR-7506's, and just a little over a year ago replaced the ear pads with the Beyer DT250 pads. Not only do they feel and fit better, they also made the 7506's sound better! Tighter, deeper bass and fuller midrange. As for the V6 vs 7506, the 7506 has a much tigher QC and match of the drivers. Also, I think I read somewhere that the openings in front of the drivers on the 7506 is better than that of the V6. I'm using a highly modded tube...
How about this... It's been almost exactly a year since I was last on here! Shortly after my last post here, my computer got slammed hard with a virus, thus taking out my hard drives and my website that I was hosting. Then shortly after that, I decided it was time for a new job. So since then I have been working my tail off with this new job, am a manager in training and have much better pay and benefits. Also since my last post, my amp has remained the same and has...
I still say the K-701's don't lack bass. It's just a different, more natural kind of bass. They're not bloated, heavy or bloomed. It's just bass that's there in its natural form, the way it should be, all the way down to 20Hz, give or take a couple Hz. This is exactly why I always compared the K-701's bass to that of my old dipole subwoofers that used two 15" woofers per channel in an H-frame baffle. Those subs were easily capable of reaching 16Hz on their own, and no...
SOLD!
bump
bump...
I just lowered the price for the final time to $550. That's $240 less (not including shipping) than what I paid for this barely used cd player just a few months ago. This is the absolute lowest I can go on this unit. After PayPal takes their fees along with me paying to ship this thing out, I'll be down another $50 at least. I can not and will not go any lower than this new $550 price.
Bump and Happy Memorial Day.