Posts by Chops

Quote: Originally posted by fewtch I'd love to try an experiment -- take a couple really thick high-end IC's with a really expensive brand name, strip out the wire in them, replace it with the chintziest copper wire Radio Shack sells (79 cents per 100 feet, anyone?), then put it back together so it looks untampered with. Then take it to a meet and ask people to give their opinions on the sound... that would be fun. Actually I'd be really happy if most...
Just for the heck of it, I want to see how many people here on Head-Fi think that cables sound different or if it's "all just in your head." Please feel free to make any comments, but please don't forget to take the pole!
All I have to say is that I highly doubt that Monster Cable, KimberKable, Cardas, Analysis Plus, Sraightwire, and all those other major companies made their millions just on myths and psychoacoustics.
Quote: Originally posted by Orpheus well, here's the deal: i agree that it's possible than analyzers may not tell the whole story. after all, they only measure what we tell them to measure... so they only work if we measure something appropriate. if we use a machine to measure the temperature of a cable, well... what the hell is that gonna say--is the temeperature relevant at all? okay. so... if we use an analyzer to measure distortion in a signal.........
Hooking cables to an analyser may not show any differences between cables, but I really do not think it is a myth. Before I knew that silver cables were "brighter" from others, I noticed it the first time I bought a pair and hooked them up to my system. I don't think analysers or engineers can prove that one cable sounds differenct from another based on the materials used. Some things just can't be explained. Just like "burning-in" cables. No one has been able to...
I'm glad to see you bought the MagWires and like them. As for "why magnet wire?", I have been told by my friend, which is also an electrical engineer among other things, is that magnet wire is mainly what all stereo components use for internal wiring. Also, magnet wire is also used in transformers, inductors, voice coils, etc... So, magnet wire is a very logical choice to use to complete the signal from component to component and from amp to loudspeaker. This also helps...
Mosfet is solid state.
Ctn, just so you know, I'm not going to waist my time with you anymore. Think what you want, and distroy your "high res" system with cheap cables. I really don't care.
Quote: Originally posted by pbirkett Actually. I have thought of a good way to prove, disprove this theory. What should happen is that you audition the cables in the normal way, but rather than just say what they think is better, allowing other people to then agree, they should keep it secret, write it down. That's exactly what I did with my brothers and friends. We didn't write anything down, but made mental notes.
Quote: Originally posted by Ctn It's all in your head. Your friends heard the "difference" because they expected it. You can believe what you want to believe. What high res eq do you have? "It's all in your head. Your friends heard the "difference" because they expected it." - You know that' s a bunch of B.S. If you really think that way, then what the heck are you doing in the forums. This whole place is about tweaks and mods! "You...