Posts by Chops

In my opinion, Grado anything doesn't compare.   Have you considered really good closed headphones that sort of sound like open headphones? Something like the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs? The reason I ask is because at one time or another, I have either owned or barrowed for an extended period of time all of the headphones you are currently looking at, and can safely say that the Mad Dogs easily surpass all of the ones you're considering at the moment, not to mention they have...
I second the Mad Dogs. I have a pair and they are excellent with the type of music you listen to. I know, I listen to some of the same stuff and they perform flawlessly.
I've been running my MD's off of my modded tube amp for the past few days now and holy cow do these things sound excellent! And the only way I can connect the iPad to the amp is via the iPad's headphone output. Even though, the background is dead silent, bass is even deeper and more controlled, the midrange and vocals are scarie real sounding, the treble is silky smooth and extended, sound stage is huge (considering the closed design), and these cans are just an absolute...
As far as the E12 having enough output for ortho cans, I don't think anyone needs to worry. I've been powering my Mad Dogs with the E11 for almost a week now, and the most I have ever turned up the volume is about 5.5. Maybe up to 7 when I'm feeling frisky, and that's loud as heck! But I only do that for very short periods, and very seldom. BTW, this is also playing a lot of Dubstep through them as I have found an interest in this music genre lately, thanks to a fellow...
I say check out the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs. They're easy to drive, are closed, and sound great for classical. In fact, I'm listening to some chamber music right now and they sound excellent. The acoustics of the venue come through crystal clear.
It's not quite bizarre. I'm not the only one who's complained about Grado's not being comfortable. You have the 60's which are light compared to say the 325's I had, so maybe they aren't all that bad. But when you have those heavy 325's sitting ON you ears, they start to hurt within 15 minutes or so.Plus, the shrilly treble and thin, way too forward midrange just makes them unlistenable and very fatiguing in a short period of time.
To me, Grado's are very painful, both in sound and comfort, or the lack thereof. I had the sr80's and sr325is', and sold both just about as fast as I bought them. Even with the 1000 pads, they still were uncomfortable and painful to listen to. Very fatiguing more ways than one.Yeah, the M50's are another good one to look at from what I've read.Maybe look into some of those "big bass" series from Sony as well.
I'd avoid Grado's at all costs. Go with the Sony's, and also check out the KRK's. I've been told they do good with the music you listen to... http://www.amazon.com/KRK-KNS8400-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004ARUO2S/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353604120&sr=1-22&keywords=headphones
If the headphones are demanding enough, a "speaker" amp would provide plenty of dynamic power and headroom, more than you would ever need. However, it seems that the HE-500's don't need tons of power, so a regular, good quality headphone amp should do fine.
If I were you, I would seriously consider the AKG K701's. From what I remember, they are more like a studio monitor than any of the others mentioned so far, including the Sony V6's. They have plenty of clean, clear midrange and treble, though they were a little lean in the bass, but then again, so are studio monitors. Don't get me wrong, the bass is there, but it's not in your face like some of the others. And it's tight and detailed bass too. Just expect it to start...