Posts by Chops

I was just thinking, when we moved, I dropped of a very nice Technics SU-8099 back off at my father's house to save some space in our new apartment. More so because the last few times I tried using it, it was producing a lot of very loud static (like pink noise) in the left channel when first turned on, even with the volume turned all the way down. It would go away after a few seconds of being on. A few days after that, both channels would do this, but the noise would...
  I had the 701's, and I would take the MD's over them any day of the week. The 701's were too lean, too crisp and too wide sounding. They weren't all that comfortable with that bumpy head band of theirs, and they were rather fatiguing. I think I only had mine for about 4 months before I gave up on them. I just couldn't get used to their sound or that painful head band.       I think you're worrying too much about those issues. Brand new gear with touchy, static sensitive...
  Thank you kind sir. That's just simply amazing to me. And $3,500 I would have never thought of! Youch!
Not to go too far off topic, but what did the SX-1980 originally go for when new? I'm only asking because I just stumbled across one on eBay with just a few minutes left to go. I was amazed when I saw the auction end at $1825!!  WOW!
  Oh! Wow, that's going back a few years. LOL   Funny you mention that as the lake we have here at the new apartment actually has a resident alligator. We've seen him twice now within the week of being here, on the other side of the lake, sunbathing.
  Thanks Silent One, though I'm a little confused on who exactly "Wally" is...
I've been running my MD's with a mint, recapped Sansui G-7000 for the past couple of days, and it really made these cans come to life! Everything about the MD's are simply better with the output from the G-7000, and that's with all of the tone controls bypassed, no "loudness" or anything.   Thanks to one of my friends at work, he's got me listening to a lot of dubstep lately, something I never thought I'd listen to. I have to say, with the Sansui powering the MD's,...
My vote goes towards the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs. Second would be Sony MDR-7506 and/or MDR-V6. Maybe even a pair of Senn HD-650's.   Personally, you shouldn't base looks on your final decision, no matter what professional field you go into. If they're ugly, who cares. If your client asks about your ugly headphones, have them listen to them, then they might understand why it's not always about looks. Marketing going both ways, looks or quality.
  Thanks Skylab.   That means I can save some money in the future then! LOL   Here's a nasty phone pic of the main rig...  
  Thanks for the answer. That would explain why this thing sounds so darn good. I mean, it sounds REALLY good.   I'm listening to some Eric Clapton right now and can't get over how real his voice sounds, not to mention all of the "space" around him and the other instruments. Even though it was years ago and with different cans (HD600's and 650's), I never heard this music sound this good through a well run-in Cary Audio SLi-80 I had for a while on loan.   In short, I'm...