Posts by Chops

Nothing at all?!...
I've been searching around for information on this, and haven't quite found anything useful yet. Anywho, one of my brothers gave me a NIB Asus Chromebox PC and I would love to use it with a Schiit Modi or even my well broken-in Bifrost (temporarily) on my headphone rig in the bedroom. Right now I've been streaming my FLAC files from my NAS to an old iPad which works great and sounds pretty decent considering, but I want better. I want to use a good quality DAC in this...
Well this thread go nowhere fast...
I decided to pull out my old Audio Technica ATH-A700's today. I haven't used them in a while since the ear pads started flaking which was also around the time I got the Mad Dogs. Anyway, I've been reading various threads and reviews about the A700's and all people do is complain about them; no bass, no midrange, no treble, no sound stage. The only thing people say about them is that they are good for gaming... Well I have no clue what these people are using for music...
I can honestly say that ALL of the Grado cans I've owned or used over the years were rather bright, lean and more than anything, uncomfortable! If you make it for more than 30 minutes with Gados strapped to your head, you must have ear lobes made of steel. I mean, they genuinely make your ears hurt! I started off years ago with a pair of Sony MDR-7506's, then went through about $2200 worth of Grados, and ended up selling all of them and going back to the Sony's. Not only...
It amazes me that no one else has said anything in this thread. I can't possibly be the only person out there that's wanted to do this.
 I was thinking the same thing. Why one earth would you max out the volume on everything then complain about distortion? That's like stabbing your own hand with a knife and complaining about the extreme pain you're in. Makes no sense.    As far as amps for the Mad Dogs, I've been using the Sansui exclusively for the past couple of years. I put my modded 708B in the closet during this time. The Sansui is rated at 85w @ 8 ohms, but not sure what it puts out at the headphone...
Just took this pic about an hour ago. Moved the receiver up top (main headphone amp), removed the CD player that I no longer use, put the music iPad and highly modded 708B head amp down below, and just have the "forum browsing" iPad chilling down there as well.   
 That really has nothing to do with the 708B as the only things that remained was the chassis and power supply section. All of the important parts that make it an amplifier was completely gone. All you have there is a preamp, that's it. It's pretty much pointless in this thread.   And on that note, here's my old 708B amp that I just pulled out of mothballs today. Hooked it up, fired it up and... Still works! Still sounds pretty darn good as well, even with these rather...
Nothing more?...