Posts by Chops

Just took this pic about an hour ago. Moved the receiver up top (main headphone amp), removed the CD player that I no longer use, put the music iPad and highly modded 708B head amp down below, and just have the "forum browsing" iPad chilling down there as well.   
 That really has nothing to do with the 708B as the only things that remained was the chassis and power supply section. All of the important parts that make it an amplifier was completely gone. All you have there is a preamp, that's it. It's pretty much pointless in this thread.   And on that note, here's my old 708B amp that I just pulled out of mothballs today. Hooked it up, fired it up and... Still works! Still sounds pretty darn good as well, even with these rather...
Nothing more?...
I've also forgot to mention (twice now) that I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 sitting here as well, not being used as well. So I could possibly use this as well.
 Straight from Schiit's Modi page..."Modi USB plugs into virtually any computer—Windows, Mac, popular Linux distros, Intel Chromebooks, as well as iPhones, iPads, and many Android devices—and requires no drivers. It features asynchronous transfer with individual crystal oscillators for the 44.1 and 48k sampling rates, and uses the USB Audio 1.0 standard over USB 2.0, and is powered by the USB port." I don't know what file type the iPad receives, but it streams perfectly...
So for the past year or more, I've been streaming music to my Sansui G7000 receiver via JRemote on my old original iPad through the headphone output. It sounds good, but I know I can do better. I've been doing a little reading and know that with an iPhone 4 or higher or iPad 2 or higher with iOS 7, you can use the Apple camera kit to bypass the internal DAC and get the raw digital signal to send it to an external DAC. In my case, I'd go with the Schiit Modi. I have a spare...
  True, to a point. On the other hand, it only costs at most a couple hundred (same or less than tube rolling) to properly recap a receiver like this, and it has been used constantly over the past 4 years that I've owned it without a single issue. Plus, these big old receivers/amps deliver loads of current to drive any headphone out there.
  Dan, it simply amazes me how quick you are to resolve any issues, questions, etc, etc. Whether it be as simple as replying to an email or even making and posting a couple of Youtube videos. You sir are top notch!   The way you demonstrated stretching the gasket is pretty much how I did it. As far as installing the pads on the headphones, it seems to me that you've done that a few times more than I have.       You should try looking at some vintage receivers and...
  Yes sir. When I ordered my Mad Dog's, I got the full blown version with the pads and strap. However, when I received them, I noticed that the left pad had a small tear in it along the threads. Actually, it's not a tear. It looks like that the threads just missed about 5mm worth of the leather.
Edit...     I just installed the new replacement pads that Dan sent me a few days ago. What a royal PITA that was. For the life of me, I could not get these things to go on at all. I would get about a third of the way around and it would just pop right back off again.   After about 30 minutes of this nonsense and getting pissed off. I decided to put the headphones down, grab a pad, and pull on it with both hands to sort of stretch them out a tiny bit. Then I...