Posts by Chops

True, to a point. On the other hand, it only costs at most a couple hundred (same or less than tube rolling) to properly recap a receiver like this, and it has been used constantly over the past 4 years that I've owned it without a single issue. Plus, these big old receivers/amps deliver loads of current to drive any headphone out there.
  Dan, it simply amazes me how quick you are to resolve any issues, questions, etc, etc. Whether it be as simple as replying to an email or even making and posting a couple of Youtube videos. You sir are top notch!   The way you demonstrated stretching the gasket is pretty much how I did it. As far as installing the pads on the headphones, it seems to me that you've done that a few times more than I have.       You should try looking at some vintage receivers and...
  Yes sir. When I ordered my Mad Dog's, I got the full blown version with the pads and strap. However, when I received them, I noticed that the left pad had a small tear in it along the threads. Actually, it's not a tear. It looks like that the threads just missed about 5mm worth of the leather.
Edit...     I just installed the new replacement pads that Dan sent me a few days ago. What a royal PITA that was. For the life of me, I could not get these things to go on at all. I would get about a third of the way around and it would just pop right back off again.   After about 30 minutes of this nonsense and getting pissed off. I decided to put the headphones down, grab a pad, and pull on it with both hands to sort of stretch them out a tiny bit. Then I...
  Actually, I do have an account with AK. Just trying to remember my password without having to reset it. I hate having to do that. LOL   No apologies.
Bump on post #6319 above?...
  No doubt it's an excellent amplifier. IIRC, it was their TOTL in 1979. It runs hot which is normal, outputs 115w x 2 @ 8 ohms, and has a "healthy" warmish sound with excellent detail and sound stage, and that's through speakers. I don't recall how it sounded through the HPO since I was a kid back then when my father listened to cans late at night while reading a book or the latest "The Diapason" magazine (it was a pipe organ magazine).   I'm sure this amp uses the...
I was just thinking, when we moved, I dropped of a very nice Technics SU-8099 back off at my father's house to save some space in our new apartment. More so because the last few times I tried using it, it was producing a lot of very loud static (like pink noise) in the left channel when first turned on, even with the volume turned all the way down. It would go away after a few seconds of being on. A few days after that, both channels would do this, but the noise would...
  I had the 701's, and I would take the MD's over them any day of the week. The 701's were too lean, too crisp and too wide sounding. They weren't all that comfortable with that bumpy head band of theirs, and they were rather fatiguing. I think I only had mine for about 4 months before I gave up on them. I just couldn't get used to their sound or that painful head band.       I think you're worrying too much about those issues. Brand new gear with touchy, static sensitive...
  Thank you kind sir. That's just simply amazing to me. And $3,500 I would have never thought of! Youch!