Posts by wavoman

The 009 is unbelievable.  I don't own it, but I heard El_Doug's.  It is very expensive and too new -- above your stated budget.   I think Pierre's comments probably apply to the 007 Mk II.  I have 007 Mk 1, and 007 Mk II with Spritzer Mod (fully documented by Spritzer, and I have been told it is easy to do).  I think they are both very transparent and not dark/somber at all.  When I listen to great classical SACD's, I am transifxed.  I use Kerry's BHSE build for the...
You asked Asr, not me, but I have been down this path with all the named phones, and you are so close to the right answer I couldn't help but jump in (I listen to a lot of classical, and have done a lot of A/B comparisons).  Put your two ideas together: go used Stax.  Pro bias.  Check the usual used-gear sites as well as posting here.  Some people feel that older Lambda Pros have a similar brightness problem as the Grado's, but I have not found that to be the case.  It...
Vinnie at RWA is the best.  He will do a great job for you.  The rig will sound great.
So with your iMod you will use an ALO cable into an RSA portable balanced amp, then have the 880s balanced with the 4-pin connector that Ray uses?   That doesn't sound like a great plan to me for portable use, and why use the iMod for anything else?.  Sticking with beyer, just get the 1350's and connect the ALO to a normal, single-ended high-power portable amp, the Pico Power, the iQube ... that sort of thing.   You will be amazed how close the SQ of the 1350's are --...
A well-covered topic here.  See, for example,   http://www.head-fi.org/t/565791/on-usb-cables-and-controller-transfer-modes-a-series-of-questions-to-replies-from-usb-org   Conclusion: any USB-IF certified cable will do.  Amazon has plenty of them at reasonable prices.
Now you know why we kicked Doug out of New Jersey.   Actually he left for a better job and we miss him (and his opinions) terribly.   Doug -- you doing OK in ChiTown?   Doug's 009's are the best HP's I have ever heard.  So, aklein55, your new rig will sound fantastic.
I have both a balanced M^3 and a balanced Beta 22, both premium builds by YBM.  These are fanastic amps, and I agree with e19650826 that the M^3 is very close to the Beta 22.  Depends on the headphone.   This is a great deal, someone should snap it up.  Ying at YBM can be trusted to repair anything he has ever built, should something go wrong (mine have been no problem).  The quality of his work is extremely high.
Mshenay -- I went to the expense of balancing and re-cabling my 880/600's, and they still sound the same as my 880/250's, at least with my amps.  Wasted my money.  But I do agree the sound is a great "all purpose" dynamic phone at a reasonable price.   Argyris -- agree 100% with your comments on Grado.  But you have to have some Grado stuff around, or you can't be a headphone addict, simple as that.  As to how to find a headphone-changing woman, the price is high. ...
I think Beyer themselves would tell you they were aiming for the identical sound on all three models, just making the three for better amp synergy.   And it's always about HP-amp synergy, isn't it?   As I posted earlier, with a good SS amp meant for high impedance HPs, there is no sonic diff between the 250 and the 600.  Proven over and over in A/B tests, with many Head-Fi'ers.   I used to be fooled, since I paid more for the 600's, I wanted them to be...
You can contact Ying at YBM and see what he can do for you if you ship your unit back to him in trade for a fully balanced unit (balanced input from the DAC that is, then your choice of how you want the HP connectors ... Ying can give you both balanced and s.e. HP outs, and the balanced can be dual XLR's or 4-pin).   I will stand up for Ying -- a great builder, fantastic communicator, never late -- I was so impressed with his work for me that, when on a biz trip to...