or Connect

Posts by wavoman

Thank you!  That thread is huge, and it seemed to be all DIY, but indeed you were right, a member posted in that thread not too long ago that he does this type of work.   I will reach out shortly to him via PM.  Exactly what I was looking for.   I love Head-Fi.  Thanks again, Relma!   I would never have found this on my own.  But when you are part of Head-Fi, you are never alone, are you?
Yes, I tried searching here and I know GIYF but I am coming up with no actual recommendations or reviews for a commercial shop or for-money modder I can send a bunch of iMods and iPods to (about a half-dozen) to get the hard disks repaired/replaced.  Is Tarkan's flash product still the way to go?  Someone who works with that would be ideal!   Please recommend someone -- even yourself -- I have these ready-to-ship and I know how to use PayPal.  Please share with me any...
jcx made this point already, but when explaining CDs vs LPs to friends I dumb it down as follows:   An analog waveform that gets infused with errors as it is moved from component to component can actually be further away from the original signal than a digital version that suffers some error due to the original sampling, but is then transmitted down the audio chain perfectly (or very close to bit-perfect).  The final signal going in to the amplification stage which will...
Shaffer -- great "uncle" story. But we can turn that around too, yes?  Maybe some of the CD bashers are listening thru inferior DACs, just as your uncle was listening thru an inferior TT?  I could imagine someone saying "but that's a $10,000 CDP/DAC!"   As I said in an earlier post, there are some dreadful DACs out there!  Even in high-end gear.  
Loved jcx's post ,,, even though I myself have a true Quadraphonic decoder still functioning, and lots of Quad LP's.  And two fine TTs, but I hardly use them.   Question for jcx -- why the dither step to get 44.1?  Decimate the 96 to get 48, a half-sample. All DACs I know of handle 48, and I believe it is the native resolution of many Apple devices.  Certainly that's the case for the older iPods.   I use 48 FLAC or Apple Lossless for all my PMPs, figuring why tax their...
Sure ... no mystery ... GQ called Senn, since I guess they learned somewhere that the Orpheus rig is currently the most expensive headphone you can sort-of buy (there is one on ebay now for $35K).   Stax + BHSE represents two different manufacturers so that wouldn't fly for GQ, since they needed broadcast rights -- too much trouble getting clearances.  Ditto for other groupings.  And they don't cost as much!   Anyway, I'm a Senn groupie, I visit the office in CT from...
Thanks man.  We need 1 Million views!  We are close.  I promised Kerry and my nephew Brian (aka "silent man", who loves Grado) that we would hit that magic number.   009  (or 007 w/ Spritzer Mod) + BHSE with the right tubes (Mullard Original xf2 late breakup) will outperform Orpheus on most (but not all) tracks.  Extremely wide-stage choral works in big halls, or live rock concerts (especially indoor ones, not so much for stadiums) sound slightly more realistic on the...
Notice the 1/2" thick front panel.  And notice that Kerry needs two alarm clocks to wake up for his day job (after spending all night milling and drilling).   Kerry -- yes you can use some of the rare African ebony (you are the only one who knows where it is anyway) to make a proper volume control -- that cheap knob has no business on your amp.   And 8 days too late, let me thank all the organizers, members and vendors for another great meet.  And for the huge profit I...
If the Kerry KGST will be there, so will I.  Leaving Boston at 9 a.m., will try to make the auction.  I've got too many points on my driver's license to speed, and at my age I need alternating coffee and bathroom breaks (it's a closed-loop feedback system), so we'll see what time I actually make it.  Yes Tom, I'll stop at a cash machine.