Posts by David Pritchard

If you want to get your Zana Deux a "present" and have run out of tubes to buy her, you might try this. It is the Isotek Full System Enhancer and Rejuvenation Disc. I have had one since May and I think it is worth the $39.00. Not as dramatic as rolling in a Brimar but a gentler smoothing effect. Isotek is a well known English audio company. It also has a nice effect on headphones- extended the highs using the Sennheiser 650's. I thought it even improved JD's fantastic HD...
Dear nor_spoon, The Valvo's arrived this week. I have been listening to the Fivre and just haven't had a chance to put on the Valvo's. They do look nice- definitely new in box. Great researching that old thread about Valvos. I knew a needed one when I saw them listed on E-bay, but I couldn't remember why!
Great news. The Mullard-Phillips now Blackburn Micro Tech Company are starting to manufacture Ecc81, 82,and 83(12AX7) tubes. Check it out.wwwTechTubeValves.com
For those just getting their Zana Deux tubed and wanting a Brimar 6SL7GT, one source is www.tubemonger.com. They have several in stock-$40.00 to $65.00 each. It may be less stressful than E-bay. David Pritchard
Dear Ironbut, Once again thank you for the information. I stumbled into a nice tube for the ZD's of our vintage (#17 for me and isn't yours #12). The Italian Fivre 6SL7GT. I hope you had reels of fun this summer. David Pritchard
At least with the Zana Deux you only need one driver so when Mullard hunting you only need one. Besides "Blackmore" has any one posted their listening experences with the Mullard? There is one on E-bay right now. I agree that the Sennheiser 650 with the Brimar is a wonderful experence. Without getting into Audio babble, I just find myself enjoying the music. Be careful you rockers out there, this combination may make you reach for a Mozart string quartet disc and not...
I like Herbbies and think they are worth the price. But why not make this fun and not another worry project. Start with just the 2 pre output tubes. Order 2 rings from Herbbies and when they arrive buy 2 "o" rings. Decide for yourself. The herbbies have a 30 day return policy- which I have utilized without problems. I like Herbbies as the go on the tube easily and off the tube easily. I like to tube roll the Zana Deux. The spring keeps constant pressure on the...
I think you are on the right track looking at Klipsch speakers. The Cornwalls will have more base. I have the KLF-20's and am using a 40 watt tube(Jadis) amp. These are 12 inches wide and 41 inches tall. No horn ringing and nice bass. Check out the Klipsch.co forum and the forum at AudioKarma .org. If you need more bass you can add a powered sub at a latter date. Audiogon.com and Craig's list are good places to look for used Klipsch speakers. The Klipsch owners remind me...
Could you tell us the source of the Chelmers? I have not seen them come up for sale on E-Bay. But maybe I was having a Zana Deux nervana listening moment and not focussing on the computer screen.
I will know how the Valvo sounds in two weeks- shipping from Hong Kong. The Tung Sol to me is a solid performer but not an exciting tube for the Sennheiser 650 phones. Sort of being on the back row of a concert of Hayden. Correct, proper but not twenty first century exciting music. By the way I do like Hayden but his music needs the Ultrasone Ed. 9's with the Brimar tube to get me emotionally involved. Maybe the Tung Sol would sound better with small jazz groups....