Posts by David Pritchard

Craig's talents are not limited to only one amp design that is for sure! It might be fun to put a Tung-Sol, General Electric, Ken-Rad, or National Union in the ZD and compare that to the Moth. I have been using mainly the Fivre, Valvo, and Brimar to "remind" my Sennheiser 650's to not be too relaxed and asleep at the wheel. I am with you in enjoying the sound of efficient speakers with a low output tube amp. My horns sound alive and harmonious (but no horn shouting)...
Ups! I came out of tube restriction because of E-Bay. A pair of Fivre 6SL7GT with original boxes. These are the first I have seen on E-bay. These went for $30.00 apiece. I think this is a great tube for the Zana Deux and underpriced. I also bought a Colmor rebranded tube-cheap. Who made it. I do not know. It will be a suprise to see if I can find out. So keep an eye out on E-bay for a bargain Fivre, Valvo, or Brimar. Good listening. David Pritchard
Congratulations on the new tubes! I knew that was a rebranding tube seller but did not know the original manufacturer. Looking at those pictures, don't forget to clean those old oxidized tube pins! A little Caig deox contact cleaner and a dental brush will let these old tubes sing their finest. I hope you will still add an audio fuse to your amp, I think it will really let the new tubes shine. Best of listening to all. David Pritchard
One of the things I like about the Zana Deux is it's response to being upgraded. It certainly respons to tube rolling. When I added a PS Audio Power Plant Premier, the amp went to a new level of excellence. Stefan Audio Art (he makes the wonderful cable upgrade for the Sennheiser 650) is now making a power cord interconnect upgrade for the Ray Samuels B-52 amp. He will also make an upgrade interconnect for the Zana Deux. The suggested price is $450.00. The price will...
That is a great offer- you guys who do not yet have a Brimar or a Valvo should see if you can arrange sending an IsoClean fuse to Norway for a Valvo tube. I already have a pair of these fine tubes and they are good. I have not seen any for sale recently on E-Bay and have never seen Valvos for sale at AudioGon. I have seen a few for sale at the boutique NOS tube vendors at OUCH prices.
I have searched the web and can not find any information on U.S. versus European voltages changing which fuse to use. Another fuse that has good reviews is the German made HiFi-Tuning fuse. That maybe easier to purchase in Norway. They cost the same. I would buy a slow blow 4 amp- size small.
I received the Isoclean fuse yesterday. I bought the 3 amp fuse, but I would buy a 4 amp slo blow (it takes the small size) next time . When I took the original fuse out it was a 4 amp fuse. How does it sound? It is a major improvement in sound. There is better clarity of sound- less smearing, better sound stage placement and darker background. I think this is a required upgrade to maximize the Zana Deux sound. Good listening to fellow Zd users. David Pritchard
Dirrerent names but are they the same tube and do they sound the same? Now that is the tough question I can not answer. But it is neat to know that Mazda(often said to be French-esp Fr. army surplus) is Adzam spelled backwards(a Phillips brand). Mullard tube company was bought by Phillips just arter WW1(not WW2). My Valvo was made at the Hamburg, Germany plant. You pay a big premium for the Mullard name. I have not heard it. The only review I have read of the Mullard was...
I have had my PS Audio Power Plant Premier for One week now. First it runs cool NO heat problems. My unit has a newer fan unit. I have not heard the fan come on yet. If you buy one new and register it at PS Audio it has a three year warranty. I bought mine at Audio Video Logic- approved internet dealer. Price was $1599.00. I think this is a good audio investment. It makes the Zana Deux amp sound even better than before. JP, I think this unit would improve that California...
I had never noticed that the Zana Deux had a fuse. I ordered an Isoclean 3 amp slo- blow fuse from VH Audio today. It will be interesting to see if it changes the sound. It is a UL approved fuse-some audio fuses are not. I took the cover off the transformer. That is one big chunk of metal. I wonder if lining the transformer box with ERS paper would do anything? Where's Patrick for his next vibration experiment. I also ordered a set of Herbie's Isocup isolation units to try...