Posts by David Pritchard

Well I put the fuse in pointing right to left but I don't remember if I took into consideration the inversion. Bottom line- I don't know! The sound was so immediately improved that I have not spent any time comparing fuse direction. It is not easy getting to the back of the amp at my house. The Isoclean Co. recomends replacing the fuse every 12 months. I do not know if the Hi-tech fuse has a recommended time to replace. There multiple fuse links at the Audiogon.com...
The PS Audio unit is interesting in it's display of incomimg A/C power. Here in southern New Mexico I see an incoming voltage of 122 to 125. The harmonic distortion ranges from 4 to 6.5%. The distortion ranges from .4 to .5 %. I do tend to see better input values after 10:00 PM. I do not yet have a dedicated A/C line to my listening area but it is on my audio wish list! By all reports this is additive is improving sound quality. David Pritchard
Thank you for the information about RCA and Fivre. The history of these tube manufacturers and their products is interesting. I just finished reading The Saga Of The Vacuum Tube. This is an out of print book detailing the history of the tubes up to 1930. I think a nice book that has helped me understand tube amplification is Valve Amplifiers by Morgan Jones 3rd. edition. I found it on Amazon. Next on the reading list is Fundmentals of Vacuum tubes by Eastman( Pub 1949)....
Dear Recstar, I would say go for it if you see the Fivre tubes for the Moth. For the first time I saw a pair of 6SL7Gt Fivre tubes on E-Bay, and I pulled the trigger-$160.00 for the pair. They are on the way from Italy with original boxes. In the Zana Deux the Fivre is the best tube I have for allowing the violin string to have both musical pitch and a sense of string vibration. Fabulous. I also found a pair of Fivre 6922 tubes for the SET amp. They are not here...
I talked to Stefan Audio Art and the Zana Deux Power Cord should be here in 14 days. I am not brave enough to order a cable from RAL and I live in the same country! Boy, that has got to sound good- a Moth amp with horns. I love the sound of the PX-25 tubes (in an Art Audio amp) driving my Klipsch horns. Tonight the Fivre 6SL7GT tube gives the Valvo a break in the Zana Deux. Time for a little Italian dolce vida. A sincere happy Thanksgiving to all. ...
Craig's talents are not limited to only one amp design that is for sure! It might be fun to put a Tung-Sol, General Electric, Ken-Rad, or National Union in the ZD and compare that to the Moth. I have been using mainly the Fivre, Valvo, and Brimar to "remind" my Sennheiser 650's to not be too relaxed and asleep at the wheel. I am with you in enjoying the sound of efficient speakers with a low output tube amp. My horns sound alive and harmonious (but no horn shouting)...
Ups! I came out of tube restriction because of E-Bay. A pair of Fivre 6SL7GT with original boxes. These are the first I have seen on E-bay. These went for $30.00 apiece. I think this is a great tube for the Zana Deux and underpriced. I also bought a Colmor rebranded tube-cheap. Who made it. I do not know. It will be a suprise to see if I can find out. So keep an eye out on E-bay for a bargain Fivre, Valvo, or Brimar. Good listening. David Pritchard
Congratulations on the new tubes! I knew that was a rebranding tube seller but did not know the original manufacturer. Looking at those pictures, don't forget to clean those old oxidized tube pins! A little Caig deox contact cleaner and a dental brush will let these old tubes sing their finest. I hope you will still add an audio fuse to your amp, I think it will really let the new tubes shine. Best of listening to all. David Pritchard
One of the things I like about the Zana Deux is it's response to being upgraded. It certainly respons to tube rolling. When I added a PS Audio Power Plant Premier, the amp went to a new level of excellence. Stefan Audio Art (he makes the wonderful cable upgrade for the Sennheiser 650) is now making a power cord interconnect upgrade for the Ray Samuels B-52 amp. He will also make an upgrade interconnect for the Zana Deux. The suggested price is $450.00. The price will...
That is a great offer- you guys who do not yet have a Brimar or a Valvo should see if you can arrange sending an IsoClean fuse to Norway for a Valvo tube. I already have a pair of these fine tubes and they are good. I have not seen any for sale recently on E-Bay and have never seen Valvos for sale at AudioGon. I have seen a few for sale at the boutique NOS tube vendors at OUCH prices.