Posts by David Pritchard

There is a nice Mullard ECC35 (6SL7GT) tube on sale at E-Bay stores. Based in Australia- less than $100.00 including postage. I put the Herbie Isocups under the ZD amp and power box today. The interconect is an Audio Quest silver based IC with the 72 volt dbs system. The driver is the musical Fivre 6SL7GT. The listening starts tonight with the trusty Sen. 650. Results to be posted latter. May be my favorite interconnect with the ZD+Sen. 650 is the MAC(My Audio...
This week got to thinking about and reading about vibration control. Certainly we headphone users do not have to worry about speaker induced vibrations to our amps like traditional speakers can cause. So I put me hand on the power supply while the ZD was on. My fingers are feeling a fast vibration. The ZD is on it's standard feet sitting on a maple block 1 inch thick. The power supply is on a separate 1 inch maple block. Ha, just for fun I got out my stethascope and...
Just posted on Audiogon is a nice pair of new black base Brimar 6SL7GT. Comes with original boxes. I think priced fairly at $175.00. I have had good experiences buying from this tube vendor. The ZD sounds so nice this night. The PS Audio power conditioner, Isoclean fuse, and Stephen AudioArt umbilical cord allows the Sennheiser 650 phones to sound detailed and musical at the same time. Haydan on the phones sounds better than Brahms played live by the...
Boy, I would never argue against the Brimar boys. They were the first tubes that for me suddenly elevated the ZD to a new level. The new umbilical cord sounds superb with the Brimar. It is like the tube is getting a better signal to modulate. The music feels alive and not a recording. May be the best thing about the Zana Deux is it sounds good with all the common NOS tubes and just devine with several Nos tubes. I still need to ask Craig about ByBee...
I was cruising on E-Bay in the tube area and saw the Valvo 6SL7GT were available again. I like this Valvo tube in the Zana Deux. This is the same seller I used. So if you don't have a Brimar, Mullard, Fivre, or the ultra expensive Standard (from Sweeden), this might be a good stocking stuffer. Good listening, David Pritchard
Karo, I lived in Dallas until 2000. I have been in the southwest desert of southern New Mexico for the last 8 years. I loved the Dallas blues scene in Dallas in the 1980's. You could hear Stevie at Nick's Uptown on Greenville for $2.00 (1983-84). In college I would listen to Stevie's older brother Jimmie at UT-Austin. The group was called Storm and predated his work in the Fabulous Thunderbirds. The Umbilical Cord is designed and built by James S. Serdechy. He...
I have started listening in earnst after having had the SaCd player, the Zana Deux with new umbilical cord, and the PS Audio Power Premier unit on for 24 hours non stop. The play list was Haydn string quartet op.74 (cd), Jerry Garcia- David Grisman(HDcd),Dave Brubeck Quartet(SaCd), Stevie Ray Vaughn(SaCd), and Vivaldi-Music for Mandolin and Lute (cd). The change in sound is obvious and dramatic! It reminds me of rolling tubes in the Zd. Ok-change to a nos GE, then...
I received the ZD power cord today from Stefan AudioArt. It is nicely constructed and flexable, and so placing it between the amp and the power supply was easy. It is a ribbon construction so it is on the delicate side. The conductor is copper in origin- no silver. Break in is listed as 12 hours. The amp stays on overnight. Real listening is scheduled for tomorrow. This may be a sophisticated upgrade to a wonderful amp. Nor_Spoon have you reversed the fuse for us...
I have seen this E-Bay seller's tubes for sale before. He always wants the maximum for his tubes. I also think he overcharges for postage-$25.00 to the U.S. Nor_Spoon gets the E-Bay bargain tube prize for his $20.00 Standard tube. Good listening to all. David Pritchard
Has anyone tried Bybee filters anywhere in their systems? Some day I am going to ask Craig Uthus if he has an opinion on this product. They are supposed to be better in solid state components, but can be used at the A/C entry point on tube equipment. I also hope to put in some dedicated A/C lines in 2009. The Zd warrants the best A/C you can provide to it. Good listening to all. David Pritchard