Posts by David Pritchard

To Kevin, Have you had a chance to try the Isoclean fuse? David Pritchard
Bob reminds us that those VT-229 tubes can sound quite nice. Plus these tubes were often dated in the 1940's. Mine is a Jan(Joint Army Navy tube) dated 1944. Very special feeling having those electrons released from their slumber of 45 years to drive my music signal. My tube was made the year my Uncle was being torpedoed while on a Destroyer in the Pacific. Maybe the ships's sonar unit had a bad VT-229 tube! Good listening to all. David Pritchard
Nor_Spoon P.M. sent David Pritchard
Nor_Spoon shoot me a heads up if you see the Standard for sale over on your side of the world. I do hope we can compare tubes on a Zana Deux at a future CanJam. It would be fun to compare the Standard-Sweeden (RCA license) to the Fivre-Italy (RCA license) to a few original RCA's. How much time are you spending with the Sennheiser 800 versus the 650's? I am still a 650 listener. Perhaps at age 58 I find the closer sound of the 650 to be more psychologically comforting...
Earlier posts by one of our European ZD owners described the fabulous sound of the rarely for sale Standard Radio 6SL7T ( a Sweedish RCA license tube). I have finally found a source -natube.com. The price $199.99-ouch! This Viet Nam tube seller does have one good report at Audio Asylum-so maybe ok. He also has some of the 1957 Valvo 6SL7GT tubes that I like for a reasonable price of $49.99 each. Lastly he has a metal based Sylvania 6SL7GT for you Metallica fans. Good...
Glad to know your Zana Deux is working. There have been very few reports of problems with these amps. I hope you get a chance to try one of the premium fuses. For me it was on the same magnitude of improvement as a tube change from a new a Russian to a vintage Brimar. Good listening. David Pritchard
Is the Zana Deux getting any power? I had a situation where the driver and big output tubes were getting power but no power to both rectifier tubes (ZD#17). The problem was that pin number 6 got pushed in during an attaching or the power umbilical cord to the amp. However the problem didn't show up until weeks latter- the connection was originally ok at the time of connection. It did have some faint high frequency whine noise before it quit. I was worried it was a...
You have to bid on a few Mullards and have your upper limit in place or you will spend some serious money. I am sure I bid on 10 Mullards before I got one for $75.00 + shipping. The others went for OVER $100.00 each. I even tried to buy Blackmore's Mullard but he sold it separetely from his other ZD tubes (which I bought). Of course you can buy a six pack of Ultrons for $45.00 and roll a tube for each day of the week! It makes for a fun daily check list. Fresh...
There is a lot of good information on tube rolling with the Zana Deux on this thread. What is the experience with interconnect rolling? I have tried 5 IC's. Audioquest King Cobra, Audioquest Cheetah with 144 volt DBS, Audioquest Colorado with 144volt DBS (upgraded from 72 volts), My Audio Cables Paladium, and Morrow Audio SP-4 with silver Eichman RCA plugs. This is with the Sennheiser 650-Equinox cabled phones and a Marantz SACD player. I especially enjoy the imaging,...
Steve, Have you had a chance to check out the Tube forum at Audio Asylum.com. Also the SET amp forum at Audio Asylum.com. There is a lot of information there, and the SET forum participants are some of the true experts. Good listening. David Pritchard