Posts by David Pritchard

Boy Ironbut, I think you have expressed the best aspect of the many fine qualities of the Eddie Current- Zana Deux products. Craig offers a refined and finished product. No need to have perpetual upgraditis with his amplifiers. I can just have fun listening to the music and changing the driver tube to match today's music or the headphones of the day. Ironbut, are you still using a National Union 6SL7GT? I hope to listen to a 1952 Phillips (Adzam), a Sylvania 1944 VT-229,...
John, We all look foward to your evaluations. Please let us know which tubes you try and if they significantly change the sound. Also if you are using any A/c conditioning and power cords. Good listening. David Pritchard
Boy your right. When tube rolling you have to pay attention to the headphone you are using. For me a big immediate difference switching from the Tung Sol GSU7GT to the Brimar 6SL7GT. With the Sennheiser 650 a Big improvement. Extended highs, crisper bass (Kettle drums) and a sense of being on row 8 instead or row 20. Reminded me of John's Zana Deux HD with balanced 650 phones. Not so sure the Brimar is the best tube for the Ultra sone Edition 9's. So far the Tung Sol and...
I have ordered a few tubes to add to the list. Brimar's- both standard and cryo treated. This should be fun to compare- truth or hype? The other tube on the way is an Adzam ECC35. This tube may give an European feel to this California amp. I am currently typing while listening to the London Symphony's SaCd of Beethoven's 3rd symphony. Driver is a Tung Sol GSU7GTY and phones are Ultrasones Edition 9's. This is a nice combination. ...
I now have foo_me's Zana Deux up and running(#17). As all other owners have stated this amp brings out any latient magic your system has. The next step is listening to the Brimar 6SL7GT in place of the present GE brown based 6SL7GT( which sounds great). The fun is one Brimar is cryoed and the other is untreated. The tubes should be here Friday. David Pritchard
Hopefully Foo's used Zana Deux will be up and running at my house in a matter of days. I had the pleasure of listening to Ironbutt's standard ZD and JP's HD-ZD at the Vancouver, Wa. conference. I just could not wait any longer for the next generation amplifier. This amplifier made the Edition 9, the modded Denon 5000, and the Sen. 650 all sing. Plus with the tubes in and components burned in it should be instant bliss. ...
Mark, I agree that it works. I had about 200 hours on the modded Denon 5000. I put the Isotek on for a 10 hour run. That afternoon there was an immediate awareness of a major improvement. The phones had a smoother sound with an improved upper end. It was like the difference a hand wax with detailing versus a drive thru wash and wax will do to improve the way a Porshe looks. I think the CD is well worth buying.
I have 2 pair of Sennheiser 140 wireless headphones. They are used primarily for HD movie viewing but the movie sound tracks sound good. They also have a range of 75-100 feet so you can leave the room or go outside and still be listening. The stand is the charging base. The headphones are quite comfortable. Their is very little noise with head movement or radio station interference. In my office I have wired headphones- Sennheiser 650 with Equinox cables, Markl modified...
I have really enjoyed the modded 5000. The Isotech CD does really work. My 5000 had several hundred hours on them and then I put the Isotech on the player. It put a final polish on a very good product. The Isotech is worth the $40.00
I purchased the Denon 5000 from Yogi this month and all was good.