Posts by Zanth

If the midrange sounds receded the audible cues from the treble range and the rather omnidirectional sounding bass frequencies will dominate and the result will be a larger soundstage.  What is really happening is not a larger soundstage but a larger sounding headstage.  Headstage being the immediate 3 dimension sound taken up by the majority of the performers.  Soundstage being the maximum distance notes trail off to.  IEMs can often have an audibly large soundstage...
Thank you for the kind words.  $1700 for phones gets one quite enough in the speaker world IF one is not aiming at superior levels of microdetail.  Etys, other IEMS, various headphones, they destroy speakers in the level of audible detail, micro and macro.  Intimacy, that unique feeling of music being just for the listener, is still bested by headphones no matter what speakers I have heard.  This intimacy is addictive and since I really grew out from headphone listening...
  Great minds think alike :)  Indeed, if one has not had the opportunity to live with something long term, I find it difficult to take the opinions seriously.  Again, there will be certain aspects that won't go away or won't magically appear during long listening sessions over a long time.  Yet, there is no denying that in my experience, one really comes to know a product when using it more than a few short sessions at a meet.    My comments regarding speakers and a trade...
  I was posting with little sleep.  My spelling and grammar were atrocious.  I've cleaned up the format of my posts and corrected the spelling and comma splices after a first pass.  What I meant by the quoted text above was not that the PS-1000s are not capable, or other Grados suffer from the same artificiality but so do all headphones and speakers predominantly too.  I think you were quoting me with that understanding in mind,  I wanted to clarify for anyone else, lest...
I listen therefore I spam
Hi pcf, Wherein once I was a headphone-centric listener, I must say that these days I am clearly in the speaker camp. This shift has helped me put many aspects of audio in perpsective. I can understand similar epiphanies going from speakers to headphones. I have yet to approximate the intimacy headphones provide. I don't have soft bass with the PS-1000s. The bass is not as snappy solid with the EAR as it is with the Melos, but so many dimensions are degraded for my...
I like my PS-1000s. I haven't listened to a recent pair but I have experience with the very first pair (I own it) and a pair in the 600s. I currently own (in order of acquiring): SR60s RS-1 (very first batch) PS-1 GS-1000 iGrado PS-1000 HF-2 In the last few years, I have had or had on long-term loan: HD800s, T1000s, LCD2, Omega II, III and on shorter terms: Omega I and LCD3. I still own the EAR and the lone Melos SHA-X (there is another lesser twin, mine is Arnie, the...
I have access to the albums on the internal memory. Three albums only, all 24/96 and about 600 MB each.
These days, I am old enough to be someone's son! Yeah, I am THAT old.
I'm not sure why I lucked out but I loaded up Rockbox in about 5 minutes and after creating the internal DB, I have been enjoying the super response software with tons of codecs. My one head scratching moment comes form not being able to get a response from the buttons on the top of the unit.  The power button works, but the others do not.  Whether this is consistent across many or just a quirk with my unit, the other buttons work so I'm fine.    After researching...