Posts by Currawong

I'll send mine over afterwards so we can both compare. I'm interested in the mod too.
It's a good-sounding player I reckon, but the software is obviously, as it has been with all new Android-based DAPs out there, a work in progress.   A bit rushed and not my best effort (I missed a couple of things) but here is my Calyx M video:  
The Hugo doesn't use a regular Sigma Delta DAC for one.
 The Centrance M8 was on sale for <$500 a few months ago. I'm pretty pleased with it in balanced mode. I second the other comments on the Geek Out -- I think it is fantastic but share the feelings about their campaigns.   I only have the ADAM ARTist 3s here, which are ~$1000 a pair. The HD-800s have more consistent bass performance and go deeper, but much of that is because I need better room conditioning to make monitors work. Maybe a larger pair than the 3s would do...
 It doesn't cover USB, but this is a good read-up on S/PDIF IMO, including optical (look for the Toslink scope picture) with some funny comments about different vintage CD transports at the end: http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPORT/CD_transport_DIY.html
I think that'd be way out of his budget though.    Oh, I forgot: The Geek Out would be excellent too.
 Something from Leckerton might be in your budget. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is, but I liked the ALO Audio PanAm with the Passport battery power supply with them. Other than the Hugo, my favourite at the moment is the Centrance M8 using the balanced output.
 Same! I sold the DX100 purely because of the awful UI and that it would drain its battery to flat doing nothing if left on. I left the Calyx on by accident yesterday and it still had plenty of power many hours later. The champion though is the X5 which can be left on for days not playing with almost no battery drain.
I think the point about I2S is to move all the conversion from USB or S/PDIF to a dedicated, high-quality device. The result, if better, is because of the external device being better than what is in the DAC, not specifically because it is I2S being used for the connection as I understand things.
 Definitely considering its price. The UI is still somewhat laggy, but not enough to bother me too much.