Posts by Currawong

Since we're on the topic of the AK380, I do find that I can hear more detail from it with the same IEMs or headphones than I do with the X7, but mostly only with well-recorded music.   It was the same before with the AK240 and the X5, and the disproportionate difference between their prices was equally large. Then the Calyx M came along, and after a couple of firmware updates I felt pretty much matched the AK240 in every way, except one thing: Size. Now if Calyx could...
I have the HE1000 V2 here as well. That's also magic.
 Part of the enjoyment is knowing you'll get something that is special in every way, not just in sound. You want it to look and feel special. I remember when I beta-tested the HD700s. They weigh hardly anything, but came in a large, heavy box that was both far larger and weighed more than the actual headphones. I said that this was completely crazy, both a waste of space and money, including the cost of shipping the extra weight.  They still come in that box though.  I've...
 A 4.4mm TRRRS plug created by Sony engineers that is used on the Z1R and associated components. It is 5-pole, so can supported single-ended and balanced in the same plug, and is large enough (unlike the annoying 2.5mm plug) that it creates a good connection, yet is much smaller than the regular 6.3mm TRS plug, making is suitable for portable use. Below on the left. I think especially if the Korean and Chinese DAP manufacturers can be persuaded to switch, everyone else...
The OPPO headphone cables will work with the HiFiMan headphones. There isn't a special reason for the TRS plug as far as I know.
 These are what I've gone back to now. The trick I've found is getting the right combination of 6SN7 and 6V6GT.
 Not everyone likes the tonality of the HD800 though. For example, a lot of people would prefer the Ultrasone Edition 8 for the music they like. Even though it is arguably technically inferior and less resolving, they do make the ultimate portable. If there is a poster child for the arguments the OP was making, it is Ultrasone, not FOCAL. That being said, nobody makes a $2k closed portable like they do.  Interesting to note: Two no-holds-barred DIY 'stat amps made in the...
The issue might be simply that they need to have enough pads on hand to manufacture headphones. No sane company makes parts available without considering how the demand would affect their levels of production, especially not at the busiest time of the year.
Yes, you should set it to match the sample rate and bit rate of the music. You don't want Windows re-sampling at all. Some kinds of playback software (I think Foobar2000?) will set this automatically per track should you have a mix of high-res and CD Quality music.
The original LHLabs Geek Out 1000. I no longer have any need of it. Drives full-sized headphones remarkably well.    I paid $99 + shipping for it. It's yours for $99 including shipping via EMS with tracking anywhere (except South American countries, where shipping is considerably more expensive).   The condition is excellent except for the back label (see picture) as when I tried to clean it some time ago, the markings rubbed off.