Posts by Currawong

The flat FR from bass out to 1kHz makes things confusing. It brings the lower mids forward, but then the drop from there through to the treble, though not as steep as the original LCD-2s were, does make the overall presentation seem a bit dark and distant. Depending on the music they can sound a bit bass-strong, with the cups of the LCD-XC alleviating this by causing a serious drop around 200 Hz in the mid-bass, resulting in what sounds like something Audio Technica would...
Ultimate Ears Tour with Philipe Depallens, Mike Dias and crew.   If you saw Jude’s report, you’ll be aware that a significant game-changer has arrived in the world of custom IEMs and that is digital ear impressions. Rather than the uncomfortable and slightly risky act of sticking quick-drying silicon in someone’s ears, United Sciences has developed a method of rapidly scanning a person’s ears and turning it into an easily editable and printable pair of custom IEMs. On...
At Schiit Audio with Jason Stoddard and Mike Moffat   Down at their office and warehouse, about which much has been written in Jason’s story, “Schiit Happened”, Jason’s office consists of a table covered with electronics, including a large tablet and Stanford analyser along with shelves full of product prototypes and other experiments.    Jason at his desk with Andre (Shiorisekine), Frank I and Warren Chi.   While Jason works upstairs, Mike has hijacked a large...
You owned one? I didn't realise. I went from much larger to much smaller gear overall. The only HeadRoom amp I ever owned was the large portable DAC/amp.
 It also takes up a lot less space too. 
[[SPOILER]] It's pretty easy to make out the compression in the first track, the second is so low-quality that all the noise is very audible. I like the amount of bass on the third track as the Ethers have a sufficient amount for me. I think some people will EQ it up though. What is most noticeable on my rig (Wyrd/Hugo -> Aurorasound HEADA) is the detail in the bass available, which is outstanding. I was thinking about how to best describe the difference between the Ethers...
 I had a weird problem with Fang's set-up in Tokyo sounding this way once, as if everything had switched to mono. This was when the HM901 was a prototype though and there were wires everywhere. I didn't have the same issue with the pair of HE-1000s I tried at Canjam, but I mainly tried them on other gear, such as the Schiit RYgg. If the Hifiman table at the Tokyo show has the same set-up again I'll give it another go and see if I can't figure out what is going on.
Everyone here is just like...   
Once I upgraded to the Pure Power, the USB issues stopped, as the noise wasn't passing through to the S/PDIF. 
I have a universal pair on loan. It's hard to add to what has already been described by others, except to say that the first word that came to mind when listening was "coherence". Whatever magic Jerry has done with the crossover has certainly worked. They seem to be very equipment-picky, however. An X5 wont cut it at all and sounds flat and dead. The new ALO Audio Rx is open an clear with tighter bass. I need to test them on more gear, but I agree that they are designed to...