Posts by Currawong

Local special manufacturers I often get asked about local manufacturers, so here are a collection, some known and most not. For the most part, these manufacturers make their products in Japan, sell in Japan only or have very limited manufacturing capacity and/or overseas distribution. Stax and Aurorasound are exceptions to this.   Stax   While everyone is waiting on their new statement amplifier, they were present, as always, with their regular...
Pioneer   The SE-Master 1 had a long queue of people waiting to listen to them, even at closing time and I didn't get a chance to listen, or even a photo, as they only had a single pair on hand in quite a dark room.    They also had a desktop DAC/amp, the U-05, which looked quite serious. Sadly they didn't have any headphones I was familiar with which I could try it.     HiFiMan There was definitely quite a bit of interest in the HE1000 planars at the show with...
iFi Audio While not at all new to Head-Fiers, their distributor had the full range of iFi products for display, including the vintage-style hi-fi system.           Lotoo Xiao Qi was on hand to demonstrate both the PAW 500 and PAW 5000, the latter of which is only around $300. It has a unique feature whereby with a press of the button the scroll wheel can be used to speed up or slow down the music without changing the pitch. Xiao Qi came up with the idea as he is a...
New Products   Astell & Kern AK380     Prior to the show we were allowed a look at the new AK380 with the presentation held in the wedding chapel and the AK380s brought in by two models. With an AKM4490 DAC than can receive full 32 bit data from the source, it has option cradles that allow balanced output and connection to a special CD drive allowing CDs to be ripped to the device directly. Uniquely the balanced output to the cradle is via special contacts on the...
This year's first show was promising to be bigger than ever, with no less than 5 floors and around 120 exhibitors. It says much that my preparation for this years’ shows was to prepare two cameras, one for photos and one for videos.  To geek out on the camera side for a minute, the Fujifilm X-T1 was going to do photo duty due to its incredible ability in low light, wonderful colours and intelligent flash, and the Sony RX10 was doing video duty. My pitch to companies was...
If anyone is coming, I'll be there wearing a black CanJam t-shirt and carrying 1 or two cameras.
The top is not stock.    The only useful parameters to change are the number of samples used to do the calculations, which you might want to try maxing out to 2 million (as long as you have a reasonably powerful computer) and the pre-ringing. Power of 2 up-sampling is most ideal.   Stock: The settings I use on over-sampling DACs, with some experimentation on the Pre-ringing one:
Hmm, I might have to take the HD800s, Ethers and HE10000s 'round to the Elekit factory sometime.
An update for this amp, if anyone is curious: I've been using it with the JH Audio Laylas and it has been a nice match. Nothing particular remarkable other than a very slightly more spacious sound, with a touch more bass emaphasis than my Pico Power and other amps.
Yeah, they are pretty much being built one-by-one by hand (after the 3D printer does its work) so after all the checking and testing it looks like it will take a while.