Posts by Currawong

I've had my pair of V7s in old Symphones aluminium sleeves running in a for a few hours now. The aluminium tends to make them a bit brighter than wood, so the result is somewhat v-shaped in sound. I'm not sure if the bass will drop down any more as it has with previous versions of the drivers, but I'm good with it either way.    Where I really like them is out of the Chord Mojo. They don't scale up to the level of detail of my main system, but they are so pleasant to...
I haven't tried with the Utopias, but with the other headphones the WA8 was incredibly enjoyable to listen with, but a bit behind on detail compared to my Yggy/S6 rig. If I was the kind of person who travelled for work a lot and listened for pleasure more than anything I would have bought the WA8.  @AnakChan has the WA8 though so if he hasn't already with any luck he'll chime in with his thoughts. I think one nice thing about the Utopias is how gracefully they scale down...
I think your idea of "transparent" is different from what most people intend it to mean. It'd be interesting to know what set-up and music you were listening with when you had those impressions.
 Apparently a lot of hi-fi gear now does this to avoid interference from other inputs, shorting the ones not in use. The Yggy is not set up to handle that, so you get this issue.  If your hyped-up DAC doesn't do DSD, and probably soon MQA, even if it does CD quality better than most other stuff, which SHOULD be the most important thing, then it isn't good enough. Most telling is that the TOTL dCS DACs, which are a Stereophile favourite, and which cost as much as an Italian...
 I posted a HEK V2 review. Basically they fixed everything wrong with the V1 and now it is much better. The Utopias have better impact, where the HEK tends to be more light and airy.    They have a branch in Tokyo now.  Are you sure it isn't just fake detail from brightness? I'd be interested to know what gear it was out of, because in my case, I didn't want to do a review of the HE1000 until I had the rig I do now, with the Yggdrasil as source. Otherwise you'd see me...
A bit of a surprise I had was after spending some hours listening with just the Utopias, I thought I'd switch to the HD800.  Basically after the Utopias, the HD800s (not S) sound veiled in comparison. It was rather shocking.
Why do you ask? I've not seen any fake TOTL models of headphones.    I was playing around with an EQ yesterday, and in the end, a 4dB lift at around 5kHz makes them sound more "normal". 
So do I. I usually turn it on in the morning so that it is nice and warm for the end of the day listening. Lately, since I have headphones on loan to review, I've left my system on continuously. 
Two things to consider: What headphones do you have? What music are you going to listen to?  The headphones affect what amp you'll want to use with them. Music comes in a large variety of qualities, some excellent and a lot poor. A higher quality DAC will only be useful for someone intending to listen to high-quality recordings of acoustic music in the first place.