Posts by Currawong

Apple USB cables tend to be pretty tight-fitting as well. That's not a problem. If anything, it should result in better pin contact.   Checking the bios settings to see if anything can be changed related to USB might be worth trying. You could also try a USB 2 hub (or Schiit Wyrd) between the computer and DAC as sometimes the issue with the newer chipsets. 
I had a read of Katz's review, and I can't help feeling, from having had the Utopias here for a couple of weeks, that quite a bit of what he is hearing, apart his description of the tonality, is from his gear, not the headphones. For example, " This phone brings too many presence ranges forward, obscuring depth" and "sometimes a bit harsh in the sibilance range". I don't feel that so much on my main system with a high-quality 2-channel recording, but do feel like they are...
@TurbOSquiD67  Have you tried different USB and coax cables? What were you using in the first place? I've had bad cables and choosing the wrong ports cause issues. 
I find it degrades far more gracefully than other cans with less than stellar gear, merely losing detail without losing character.
I should have added that as my S6 is a 100V version that the transformers, or their set-up are at least slightly different.
 I kept missing out on sitting down and giving them a proper evaluation when I was at the last couple of Tokyo shows.  I'll have to see if I can't borrow a pair in the future.
 I have a very tiny amount of hum with no music playing with the Utopias. 
 I think I had that impression after listening with the Z1R to rock, which they deliver more aggressively. The Utopias are less in-your-face in comparison.  Not silly at all. I was expecting more similarity, but when I compared them just now, the Z1R, which I thought had a lot of bass, doesn't seem to have even as much as the Vegas, but has a more forward mid-range. The treble difference depends on the tips you like with the Vegas. I haven't tested the Sonys out of...
 On my Yggy/Studio Six rig, the HE1000 V2 is the more spacious and detailed-sounding pair, rather like a pair of 'stats, but they need the amp to be really musical. Although the bass is excellent in quality, in quantity it is a touch low, so can very easily sound boring out of the wrong gear. With acoustical music they can deliver some uncanny realism, bested only by the Utopias (of the headphones I've tried with my set-up). The Ether Flow is the better all-rounder,...
I've had my pair of V7s in old Symphones aluminium sleeves running in a for a few hours now. The aluminium tends to make them a bit brighter than wood, so the result is somewhat v-shaped in sound. I'm not sure if the bass will drop down any more as it has with previous versions of the drivers, but I'm good with it either way.    Where I really like them is out of the Chord Mojo. They don't scale up to the level of detail of my main system, but they are so pleasant to...