or Connect

Posts by Currawong

I don't agree with "fighting back". If anything, cheaper gear of all kinds has improved vastly as a result of the "1%" buying the super-over-engineered products. As I've pointed out, you can get $50 IEMs now that sound fantastic. To add to that, If you want a pair of excellent headphones for a few hundred dollars, I'd pick, maybe surprisingly, a pair of Sony 1000X Bluetooth, noise-cancelling headphones, as you don't need anything beyond your smart phone to get excellent...
Lately I've been using the Reference 8 cable and Spiral Dot tips and the sound has been much more even. What has been impressing me most is that even though the treble has a bit of a peak that is stronger than I would like for choice, the precision, speed and lack of anything unpleasant makes it incredibly enjoyable to listen even to music that was less than perfectly made.   My favorite track from recent listening has been Bob Marley's Sun is Shining on TIDAL.  The...
 I don't think it is that. The un-decoded MQA "noise" is above 16 kHz. I was comparing a 24/96 version of a track that I have versus a TIDAL app MQA track that was being decoded to 24/96. It sounded like the track had been remastered to be much better-sounding.
 I've already shown that flagships, compared to the past, are cheaper than they were. What we're seeing lately is not the price of flagships going up, but more companies making headphones in the $1000-5000 price range.  The two things are not the same.  The main argument is actually whether or not manufacturers are pricing these headphones because that it is a realistic reflection of the costs involved in developing and making them (+ dealer mark-up) or because they are...
I had a bit of an issue with a bad 2.5-3.5mm adaptor, but now that is sorted I've had a good listen.   The Vegas have quite thundering bass when it is there, but it doesn't interfere at all with the mids and treble, which are excellent.  The sibilance in higher vocal notes on some pop tracks (I'm listening to Pink Floyd at the moment with them) is noticeable, but I wouldn't go further than that. Personally I wouldn't spend $1200 to listen to badly recorded music, as I'm...
 No, that is not all that is going on. The re-mastering is the real critical part. I think the high-res compression trick is necessary to sell it as if it were only CD quality it wouldn't get any attention.  I don't think that the high-res part is irrelevant though, because I've always been of the opinion, from experience, that the digital filters in a lot of DACs cause playback to sound unnatural, as high-quality up-sampling prior to playback has often sounded better to...
You'll have to ask Michael at Centrance about the DACPort HD. It's possible that it might need a firmware upgrade. He used to supply firmware for the old DACPort that allowed it to work with iDevices, so with any luck there will be an option for the HD.
 The MQA tracks are re-mastered. In at least one thread on here (there are so many talking about MQA now I've lost track) someone dumped the output of the regular track and the MQA into software and the spectrum (of the music) is visibly different. If you want to denigrate people, let me comment on an observation I've had of the "cool kids" who discuss this stuff: It seems to me that the "cool kids" are the ones who want to trash companies and the people who run them by...
 Any DAC can play an MQA file, as it is a regular CD Quality file with high-res data hidden in the bits that mostly contain nothing. The TIDAL desktop app partially unfolds the MQA so that part of the high-res content is played back.  However, it mostly doesn't matter, as the important thing is the re-mastering done on the music in the first place, which you're going to get regardless of what playback you get. The high-res unfolding thing is just to help manufacturers sell...
I think when we complain about prices these days, we tend to forget how good we really have it. You couldn't get this kind of tech for any price a few years ago.