Posts by Currawong

The TA-ZH1ES up-samples everything to DSD, and it sounds like it to my ears, with a slight soft politeness to the music.    I've edited the first post to link to main impressions posts and reviews.
 Before the HD800s, the "best" production headphones you could buy were supposed to be the Ultrasone Edition 9s, and before that the HD650s. They were much criticised on here for the 6.3k treble peak and their overall tonality, which worked best with high-quality 2 channel acoustic recordings, but not so well with other stuff. I think TOTL headphones have improved considerably in recent years, and I've stated before, the Sony R10s and Qualia 010s cost effectively MORE when...
 It's relative. I wouldn't have said that about the HD800 not having listened with the Utopias. However, the ability, at least on my system, of the Utopias to separate the layers of the music is far superior. It's not a bigger soundstage -- if anything the HD800 has been criticised for making everything sound too wide, even music that should be more intimate. If anything, the Utopia has the opposite problem -- sounding too small and monitor-like out of most gear. What I...
 For the years I've been experimenting with this stuff, I'm pretty convinced that it is either heat, or just being left on that has the effect.  Schiit advertises in Stereophile, so it's not that. I thought it might be that it was because it doesn't do DSD or other hype formats, but they have the Audio Note DAC 2.1x Signature in the "A" category which doesn't do any of that either, and it IS in the recommended components list. It might have been more telling if it...
Another R2R DAC build is in this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/839007/r2r-da-m1-ultracap-powered-build - which you guys may have missed. 
Please post pictures and details, maybe in a new thread. 
Took a few pictures before sending the Utopias back.  The video will be up shortly, I just have to finish editing it.        
  Took a few tries to get the lighting right so you could see into the headphones.
 I don't think we need to make it a battle at all. The time I auditioned the LCD-4 out of an Audeze King was fantastic. I can very much see how people would prefer them.   If you mean the electrostat pads, that is something I might need to sort out doing indeed. 
 Nothing to do with being a planar magnetic. The bass distortion from the Utopias is very low for a dynamic driver. However it's not a regular dynamic driver by any stretch of the imagination, but more akin to a speaker cone. If they had tuned it to have a bit more bass, I think more people would be happy.  What I find interesting are the comments about the phase. I know how IEMs sound when they are out of phase, but don't understand enough about it with regular...