Posts by Currawong

I'm closing this for a day, at least, so people can chill out of over the DSD arguments, which are derailing this thread. I (or another mod) might open it again once we've had time to ponder what to do with it. Another thread has been started about the Hugo if people want to talk about it.
That explains much! I got around that by memorising how many presses I needed for each input, because I was A/Bing between inputs using two computers or DAPs.   I did this at a cafe too. Not being a city cafe, but out in the sticks, I had to consciously avoid people's stares, in this case not just because I was an obvious foreigner, but because of the electronics sitting on the table.
Definitely a good question. Before the XBA series, I went and tried every pair of expensive IEMs I could in-store, and they were terrible in one way or another. The XBA series were the first that didn't sound awful to me.   The question about it being "worth it" is one we ask ourselves all the time. For some people it simply isn't. I remember back in high school the first time I heard the pop music I liked through my father's high-end stereo system and felt the same way:...
 Ok, gotcha. Seems I was confused as well. So a DAC basically for your tablet?
 Do you mean in the iTunes Library? I know that Bitperfect can create special files that can reside in iTunes that contain DSD. I haven't tested to see if this works with Audirvana Plus though.  Yes, I did, after emailing in a request for a discount code. So far so good, though it refused to work with my Geek Out and the music pauses when you add files to the playlist, which I consider crazy.
Someone could probably configure an Android DAP to do it, assuming there was one that had S/PDIF input as many can act as USB hosts. The problem is exactly that though: a USB host is required -- basically a computer.
As long as you aren't going TOO cheap, you should be able to get something that is an improvement, even a USB DAC/amp. Did you want something to use as just an amp with, say, an iPhone too?
Probably not. In 20 years I've only owned a single adaptor that affected audio quality, and it was of the first I bought back in the early '90s that was a Chinese rip-off of a brand-name adaptor.
We usually refer to that kind of digital input as coax digital or coax S/PDIF. When we talk about "RCA" we usually refer to the analogue output, for future reference. 
@madoyster I've moved your post to our thread about it. Thanks for an awesome first post!