Posts by Currawong

I'm going to ask about the Cowon.   At the moment I'm playing with the Geek Out. I get where Eke is coming from about it -- with the Aurorasound USB power supply it is very good, not Hugo good -- it's a bit flat-sounding in comparison, but you can't argue with value compared to an AK240, as my MacBook Air + Geek Out is still cheaper, if not as portable.
If you have a Mac, MacPilot has an option to remove hidden Mac files from a folder or volume.
Just FYI, if you play a DSD stream straight into an amplifier as-is, you'll get music. Preferably you'd want a low-pass filter so as not to risk equipment damage. So a "native" DSD player would basically do just that.
http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines   Please re-read them guys.
Yeah, they are rather flat, except for the rolled-off deep bass.  I wouldn't call them mid-forward (that is reserved for the AT-like LCD-XCs). Beats Antique, for example, comes across like it is being played through a pair of studio monitors and lacks impact, but is very smooth and non-fatiguing.   I'm using them mainly from a Geek Out 1000 with an Aurorasound USB PSU, which seems to be a decent match.  Unfortunately I can't modify them to run balanced, as they'd...
I've had a pre-production unit for a while. I guess I should post more impressions.    For whatever reason, at home they sound a bit rolled-off in the treble and a bit thick through the mids -- similar things I didn't like about the Oppo PM1. They don't do deep bass very well like planers with larger diaphragms do. So other than with the deep bass, the presentation is somewhat relaxed.    They seem to be quite brutal to drive -- they sound a bit asleep, so I'm going to...
I should probably ask, but the M appears to use the screen at least from a cell phone, so I suggest going to a mobile shop and looking for Samsung screen protectors as you might find one that fits almost perfectly.   About the M vs. AK240, what has been said in the last couple of pages seems to be in agreement with what everyone, including myself, has said: The AK240 isn't 2.5x better than the M in SQ. As a whole package, given all it can do, including better SQ, it is a...
 Yes, that's correct. Usually with balanced connections, the third pin or connection is connected to the shield and ground separately from the signal. I'm wondering if the choice of a 3-connector plug by Sony was to have each socket satisfy both the ability to use the amp single-ended (where the ground is the signal return and shield) and balanced (where the ground is just connected to the shield), as well as make it "customer-proof" so whatever they plug in works. I...
Usually when pre-amps are being talked about, it refers to the separated half of an integrated amp, built into a separate box that just deals with inputs from multiple sources and has an output that goes to a power amp or mono-block speaker amps via an amplification stage.    The voltage of a headphone amp is roughly the same as a pre-amp, so many headphone amps can double as an active pre-amp. It isn't quite the same as a passive pre-amp, which is indeed just a volume...
Seems to a be regular registered Australian business: