or Connect

Posts by obobskivich

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek answer: Koss (literally any model). Lifetime warranty and that's that. More frankly: IME most "high end" headphones that I've owned are built considerably better than "cheap" cans - even headphones that aren't well-loved for being durable/able to withstand a lot of abuse (e.g. Bose) seem and feel better put together than $20-30 stuff that you find in a department store. If you want something that's going to stand up to a lot of handling,...
Read the summary in the first post and: 1) You don't need a DAC, at least not explicitly. The STX is already doing that for you. What you need is a preamp/receiver/[something] (will come back to this) that allows you to control output volume for the speaker/sub combination (2.1) including bass management, and has a separate connection for your headphones. 2) All of the above ^ can be done in the analog domain if you want, which leaves it compatible with the STX and other...
I would be surprised if the drivers for your audio solution don't have some EQ functionality. No, it won't change the AD700X into "bass head" territory, but you can certainly reduce the top-end (reducing what you don't like via EQ is always easier than adding what you want via EQ). Won't change the fit/comfort but at least you should be able to drop the top-end off to your liking. Adding an amp, DAC, or whatever other upstream device may have some impact on sound, but it...
No idea honestly what to make of the STAX thing - but that'd probably make logical sense. They didn't list the price of the associated equipment though, so it's tough to say if that's even the headphone in question. Certainly the right age though.
This is pretty frequently the case with the discussion about "do cables matter?" or "do cables influence sound?" - nobody seems able to arrive at a clear consensus even after years of (often heated) bickering. And in many cases it can degrade into a John Woo-style standoff with neither side really willing to have anything resembling a civil discussion, which is most unfortunate. From an objective perspective, length is a legitimate restriction, and as has been pointed out...
ESP/950 was US $2000 at release per the 1990 Stereophile review (and lists for $999 today; Koss does not have strict MSRP enforcement (and afaik never has) so the street price varies); ECR-800 was ~75,000 Yen (in early 1980s Yen); Lambda Nova was the wrong name, it was the T1 system, which was considered a competitor for ESP/950, K1000, etc in the late 1980s and early 1990s (again see Stereophile's original review of the ESP/950). AKG has archived, and unfortunately...
In my experience, which is admittedly narrow (as in, I am not a product reviewer, retail dealer, etc so I don't handle thousands or tens of thousands of products a year), monoprice cables tend to fall apart/fail at a fairly high rate - they just seem cheaply put together. This isn't to say inexpensive is explicitly bad, just that I've never had good luck with monoprice as a brand. Belkin, Hosa, and Amazon's house brand ("Basics") all seem to be more reliable IME. Just my 2c.
Guessing here: Probably either STAX (Lambda Nova something or other) or the original Grados. If memory serves the ESP/950 came out somewhat after the R10 so they're out (and ditto on the AKG K1000). I don't recall what Sony's flagship electret (the ECR-800) cost new, but they were probably "up there" and are reportedly very good sounding (as the legend goes, they were so good that the Sony engineers could tell the differences between colors on the wire insulation through...
I doubt the USB cable will do much one way or another if it isn't very long - USB does have a maximum length specification (and its a lot shorter than most people think, at 5 meters), and that's based on signal latency vs distance. So if you've got a longer cable run (like 3-5 meters), "better" cables (we're not talking $300+ blood-of-a-thousand-virgins stuff, but certainly better than the $0.99 stuff) are a good idea, but for short runs I can't imagine it'll make much of...
Yeah, despite the hardware that underlies integrated audio solutions having improved *a lot* in the last few years, there's still huge variations in what different IHVs choose to implement (specifically I think it comes down to how much licenced code/plug-ins/etc they're willing to spring for), which is probably part of what makes something like the Sound Blaster MB software worthwhile (e.g. why Creative even thinks it deserves to exist). Razer has a free application...