Posts by obobskivich

Correction: WILL void the warranty. Source: I called and asked Koss. They will not sell you a replacement back plate to cover up what you've done either. Their suggestion was to either use different (fitting) cables, or to use a TRS to RCA adapter on the front TRS jack, as that jack "sticks out" a bit and should have no clearance issues with various TRS plugs (especially newer, "mobile phone compatible" models that have a small spacer to clear phone cases), and you can...
Technically you could send the variable or fixed output to the E/90's inputs (remember Koss designed it partially with connection to a mobile CD player or cassette deck in mind), but using the fixed outputs will make life easier (only one volume knob to deal with - if you use the variable output you'll have to adjust the volume on both devices, now that may be desirable if you dislike the split volume control on the E/90, just run the E/90's controls up to a "loud" point...
Haven't heard the 598CS so I can't comment on that part of your question, but on the rest: - I think the HD 600 will satisfy your goals in terms of detail retrieval, being relatively neutral, comfortable, suitable for long listening sessions, etc. Of course you won't know for sure until you hear them, but that's just unfortunately part of it in the era of predominately online shopping. - The STX II should be fine for the HD 600, but you will likely want to use the "high...
When I've demo'd them against one another they are quite different headphones. Reviews should really be tempered with a big heaping helping of salt.
The HDVD800 uses a standard C14 connector - you can get something "big and thick" with that connector (technically the C13 mate) as computers and other appliances also use that, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Heavy-Duty-IEC-320-C13-P007-006/dp/B0027JRMD0/ Would let you "try something else" if you wanted, without spending thousands.
I was thinking "nomad" and thought of this:Or maybe a more contemporary interpretation that involves backpacking or wilderness survival (there was actually a poster a few years ago who would take his headphones kayaking, and he had the pictures to prove it).But I honestly don't know if either of those is exactly right, so I figured "better to ask..."For any sort of "actual mobile use" I'd go with IEMs - its just so much less hassle.
IME the answer is "yes and no" - and I know that's kind of an annoying two handed response, but hear me out:- On one hand (the "no" answer), I think there isn't much wrong with what we used to consider "flagships" (like the HD 580/600/650, K701, DT880, and RS-1) - they're still good performers and still make fantastic music, especially when paired with good supporting gear. A lot of these headphones run in that "$400-600 sweet-spot" that I saw talked about on page one (and...
Back from the dead with this thread! CES has come and gone, and unfortunately I've still not seen anything from AT about their 55th anniversary, including no announce of a limited edition W model, even on the Japan website. Anyone else aware of any updates?
What do you mean by "nomad use" Anyways, my first thought would be either the JVC HP-DX1000 or Fostex TH-900 (the DX1000 isolate much better, but the TH-900 may have sonic advantages depending on your preference). Both offer a lot of bass, are very comfortable, and will certainly tick your "luxury materials" requirement. I wouldn't suggest them if your usage scheme errs towards mobile (ab)use though, as the wood cups won't stand up very well (and the rest of their build...
Not trying to stir up a fight, buuut: I'd honestly be looking at the FiiO as the culprit for the channel imbalance. IME they use cheap pots, and the Fostex are very sensitive headphones, so you get the worst possible situation out of it. Try plugging into something else. As far as the tonal balance and all that - you may try just EQing the bass down on the Fostex a bit and seeing how you like that. If you want something else though, the Ultrasone PRO2900 would come to...