or Connect

Posts by obobskivich

Yeah, despite the hardware that underlies integrated audio solutions having improved *a lot* in the last few years, there's still huge variations in what different IHVs choose to implement (specifically I think it comes down to how much licenced code/plug-ins/etc they're willing to spring for), which is probably part of what makes something like the Sound Blaster MB software worthwhile (e.g. why Creative even thinks it deserves to exist). Razer has a free application...
If they're making good contact (e.g. "everything works"), the lack of some extra length probably makes no appreciable difference in practical terms, although I can tell you for myself just knowing it "doesn't match" would eventually prompt me to sort it out with four of the same connectors.
Koss, Audio-Technica, and Sennheiser all sell "clamps" that will hook to the side of your desk/table (the thickness of your desk/table will matter here) and then allow you to hang headphones off of them. Alternatively you could probably accomplish the same thing with a sturdy c-clamp.
Mid-bass is pretty prevalent in all music, so its not likely something you'd be missing in any genre. Give this chart (it came out of a manual for an old EQ unit) a look:http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/750629/a/725569/tremble-on-hd650-hd600-hd580-vs-hd598/sort/display_order/Mid-bass is at the lower end of that chart, ~30-200Hz range. It's sub-bass that is a bit more elusive in some genres of music, especially acoustic music. Good mid-bass presence generally yields a warmer and...
Generally, I'd go with "Headphone" in the Creative drivers, let that do its various tricks with Windows, and then set the game to either "Headphone" or "5.1" depending on what sounds better to you. The Z also has "Scout Mode" which is supposed to help positional accuracy in games -I'd give it a try.
Xbox One has a TOSlink output that can send out PCM, Dolby Digital, or DTS audio - most hi-fi DACs will take PCM but there are some other components that can take Dolby or DTS (usually AV-oriented devices). You could also extract audio from the HDMI output with a relatively inexpensive (and aptly named) "HDMI audio extractor." There are no analog outputs, however, so you'll have to convert from digital to analog in order to plug in beyond the 3.5mm jack. There's literally...
TEAC does on at least one model, Woo has transformer-coupled models that can switch between taps, there's a few odds-and-ends over the years that have multiple outputs setup with different Zout per-each, etc.
I know these are a bit older posts and this is a bit slower thread, but I wanted to reply anyways. The internal ASRC is doing a good job taking whatever input to 32/192, but I'd still lean towards a higher bitrate output, especially if you're going to be adjusting volume/etc on the PC as running in 24-bit can have advantages there wrt noise/performance. There's also an advantage if you're playing back 24-bit material - there won't be any dithering down to 16-bit. Where you...
Indeed - the downmix matrix should already be applying pads to prevent this (that's actually required by Dolby and DTS as part of the decoder spec, specifically because of this problem). The Z (and all of the other SoundCore cards) will automatically, and silently, implement the whole "set windows to 5.1 and mix to stereo for headphones" thing just by setting them to Headphones - no need to go futz about with other settings since the Creative driver is already setting it...
It is exactly as yay101 describes: its a dynamic compressor (and it has variable attack/release time if you click "Settings"). I use it on my office computer that has speakers built into the monitor, and it helps make most sounds more intelligible (there's also a "low frequency protection" option that Microsoft provides which helps too - keeps the monitor's chassis from buzzing). On my "hi-fi" computer I leave all that stuff disabled for music listening, especially as most...