Posts by pataburd

I am still enjoying the PM-1 with my ears/brain,despite the graphs and 2nd or 3rd hand reviews.    
+2. I heartily agree with you that well implemented conventional dynamic drivers offer a degree of musical realism that the orthodynamics simply cannot. After living with and enjoying the HE-6 for a year or so, I welcomed--and in some respects actually preferred(!)--the conventional dynamic of the lowly Mikros 90 closed portables.  [duck] Among the current planars I have tried, the Oppo PM-1 seem to come the closest to conveying a "cone-driven" dynamic, which is a major...
Just found detailed information on the K812 stock cable:   "The cable is three meters, it is built with copper in a 99.99% oxygen-free and equipped with a removable Lemo connector, high precision, for connection to headphones."   . . . from this latest-breaking product promo from Brazil:   http://www.panoramaaudiovisual.com/en/2014/01/10/AKG-k812-upper-reference-headphones/   The article provides no listener impressions.   I think the K812 might benefit...
Am very interested to hear your impressions of the Noir Hybrid HPC.  Please keep us posted.Am on the verge of ordering a UP-OCC cable from HeadphoneLounge, but am also as-yet undecided between silver or copper.Has anyone access to the specs on the K812's stock "tangle-free" cable?
"Funkytown" by Lipps Inc., on the Casablanca label. The K812: boy can they DISCO!!!  
The PM-1, I think, took a lot of staunch "brand-loyalists" off guard.   Oppo has done their homework, IMHO, and delivered a unique set of headphones at this stage of orthodynamic popularity/product development.  Their distinctive sound and thoughtful styling/construction further differentiate and epitomize the PM-1 as a noteworthy--even praiseworthy--first effort on Oppo's part, too. I think there might be some "new-kid-on-the-block" animus directed at Oppo, since the PM-1...
Enjoying Neil Diamond, Heartlight/Columbia, Track #3: "I'm Guilty". Everything is beautifully laid out with the K812. Did I read in a review somewhere a criticism that the K812 have a "L-R" spatial layout, without a clear centralising aspect to their imaging?  My experience with the AKGs completely contradicts that misnomer.  Elements are solidly anchored in 3-D space, with a well-defined central focus.  Having been "wandering about" among the orthodynamics on the...
No mistake.It was preordained.The PM-2 should be well worth the wait. 
Don't see the PM-1 in Jerg's signature or profile, so it could be jest [or a jibe at my hyperbole]. The PM-1 challenged my preconceptions about what I had always tended to prefer in a set of headphones [e.g., "bright", "airy", treble-leaning].  While the Oppos cannot be adequately described by any of those adjectives, they still somehow manage to get my undivided attention--every time.  I ended up liking the PM-1 very much--and very much, apparently, against my own native...
The Mikros 90 [Stock Pair #2, w/Teds UP-OCC silver] really hold their own, even in the "exalted" company of the PM-1 and K812.     I still think the MLs have the best overall spectral balance, best dynamic attack and best bass extension/presence of the three [albeit on "no-great-shakes" equipment].   The PM-1 and K812 get the edge for micro-detail retrieval.  The K812 are the "airiest", with the biggest soundstage.  The PM-1 are the most lush-sounding.   Listening to...