or Connect

Posts by bada bing

Before you send them out the door to the next owner, you should try the James444 mod. It does improvethe bass and confusion on busy music quite a bit. The mod is quickly and totally reversible and is very welldocumented by James444 http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/405#post_11162329 At the end of the day, my opinion is that the FX1100 isn't a candidate for a "one & only" IEM, but withcertain music it is really stellar. Chamber music, "unplugged"...
I'm looking forward to your impressions. I've been swapping between the XBA-Z5, MDR-7550 and HA-FX1100.   The FX1100 is a niche performer. It isn't an all-rounder, but it really shines with acoustic and close mic'ed vocals.
I'm been auditioning IEMs for the last week mostly at my desk, so: PupDac > GS-1 > IEM I'm lacking for portable sources, I have an HTC M8 and a Rockboxed Fuse,but I haven't been using those for auditioning over the last week. That is whatI eventually will end up driving them with. I was going to ask for opinions in thisthread in a week or two for a portable amp recommendation in the sub $200range. I'm considering a Fiio E12 or perhaps looking for a used Pico.
  Not yet. Untaped these have impressive enough bass. I actually think they havea bit more bass than the XB90ex. I also think the XBA-Z5 has equal bass to theXB90ex. I know that's a bit different from the opinions here in the thread. I'd rankthe bass response and extension like this: MDR7550 > HA-FX1100 > XBA-Z5 >= XB90ex  I think I need to work on fit and tips some more to see if there is a reason my impressions don't jive with the majority opinion.
I don't know the mechanics of buying from overseas in the UK, but Amazon USA has 2 pairof the MDR7550 remaining, stocked in the USA, Amazon prime for $315Amazon USA also lists 148 sellers of the EX800, almost all Japanese, starting at $207 w free ship. It seems like USA availability is almost over, but getting them from Japan seems plentiful. I've boughta few things from AmazonUK and it wasn't any particular hassle, is it different in the reverse direction? I just got a...
 I'm well into "new toy syndrome" with my Z5. I know enough about myself to know I can'tgive a good opinion about equipment until I've had it long enough for it be "old hat". There havebeen lots of examples of stuff that sounds great for the first week or two that I don't reallycare for after a couple months. I don't seem to be alone in this, if you go by the number ofextremely positive comments on new equipment followed within a month or two by a forsalethread.  All that...
Well, I gave in to the curiosity. My rationalization to myself was I haven't spent any money on audio toys in over a year. The two IEMs I have been wondering about are the XBA-z5 and the JVC HA-FX1100. On the JVC, I have a bit of expectation bias because I've listened quite a bit to my HA-FX750. I've never heard any Sony IEM, so the XBA-z5 is a leap of faith based on the review descriptions here in this thread.   First up is the Z5. I've gotta say, straight out of...
I've read this whole thread (and a couple others) and I'm interested in some of the source discussions as well. I only use my HTC M8 or a Sansa Fuse with a Pico slim for my portable rig. I have good balanced desktop gear - GS-X mk2 and DIY dynalo Mk2 - and I think I'll spend some time with new IEMs on the home rig before I jump into a balanced portable. The Pono looks interesting. I appreciate reading all the contributions in threads like this. I don't have any opportunity...
I've got a question for the Z5 crew here. I'm going to spend some $$$ on IEMs in the next few months, say $1000. I've been collecting mid tier IEMs for 10 years or so, so this purchase is more to add contrast to what I have, not as my only IEMs. I have my end game home set ups and only use IEMs on the go (which I am a lot). I found I enjoy having 2-3 favorite mid tier IEMs with me on road trips as opposed to having 1 top tier. I have as current...
What are you using to power the O2 ? I wouldn't go so far as to call it a defect, but the O2's has unusual clipping that depends on rail voltage and input signal voltage.If you are sure you are clipping in the amp section, you have rails running too low for the input and gain. That is the only way the O2 clips and it is rather odd behavior. I'd check the rails in the amp, something is amiss. The O2 is an interesting design and it is easy to get really good performance from...