Posts by aamefford

Subtle sarcasm?  REALLY?  NOOOOooooo.... sorry, couldn't resist.
I didn't find the PM-1 darker or less treble than HD650, caveat that HD650 is from memory, so I could be full of it.I am not a fan of the LCD2.x, though I get why others are. I like the PM-1 quite a bit better, but if you are a fan of the LCD2.x, there is a pretty solid chance the PM-1 won't thrill you. It is still worth listening to be sure though. There are similarities. Funny, as much as I don't like the LCD2.x, I've often wondered if it might not be worth trading a...
  Dito.  I tried both out of the HA-1 dac, and both amp sections out of the NF-DAC.  Volume matched, they sounded nearly indistinguishable.  I would hope for that with good, discrete design, class A solid state amps.  The DACs had very, very slight differences - more noticeable than any slight differences between the amps.
I forget if anyone reported temperatures. I measured the hottest part of the grill at 111.3 F with my Fluke. The unit had been on for about 2 days, so definitely steady state. The Asgard 2 gets hotter, and the volume knob on the Asgard 2 gets pretty hot. 111 on the HA-1 should not be of concern. Full on Class A runs hot! EDIT - beta unit.
From the Lyr2 FAQ page - nearly peed myself and spit coffee on the monitor at the same time at the first sentence - quite a feat in itself:   "I hate your humor, why can’t you be serious? Because “audiophile” does not have to mean “born with a stick up your ass.” Plus, people without a sense of humor usually need a psychologist shipped to them with every product. We have not successfully developed a portable or automated psychologist, and our boxes are not large enough...
Sheesh. The HA-1 is not world changing or life changing. It is pretty darned good though. So is a lot of other stuff. Oppo amp section is pretty much indescernable from the Schiit Asgard 2 and the Burson Soloist to my midfi ears. I rate all 3 as good solid state amps. The DAC section is very, very, very slightly more detail forward than the Uberfrost or the NF-DAC I had on hand. Both of those are good dacs. Lots of good stuff out there. Including the Oppo. If you need a...
Sounds about the temp. range for mine as well.
Ha! It used to be mine. It is as described, works perfectly. These are indeed pricy new, this is a fine deal. Thegrobe is the quintessential head-fier. A great guy to deal with.
Mine gets hot enough that it is uncomfortable to leave your hand over the vent for long. Fry an egg - no. Keep your burrito nice and warm - definitely. My Asgard 2 got hotter. Class a runs hot.
I had the bifrost Uber and an A2 sitting on top of my beta unit HA-1.  Very (and I mean very) slightly different sound signatures, with the HA-1 showing a bit more detail forward, the Schiit stack a bit more "smooth" for lack of a better word.  Sound quality was on par between the two.  I decided to sell the Schiit gear when I found out that Oppo was giving me an HA-1 as thanks for participating in the beta test (I had purchased it to replace the HA-1 when the beta was...