Posts by aamefford

I've been that guy, at least a little.  I try really hard not to be that guy any more.
I think that truer words were never spoken.  Any industry, any company that delivers a quality product at a fair price will (hopefully) have success with that product. I was also fascinated with your take on social media, given your youth, (younger than me, though I think Mike gives me a run for the calendar) and given the market that Centric seems to be in.  As a "casual, not that involved outside looking in" user of social media, I agree with your take.  I have watched...
Regarding the whole post - my take (BSME and MBA degrees), college teaches you some stuff - great.  The invaluable lesson of college is learning how (and where) to learn what you need to know at any given time.  Well, that and how to maintain in front of your peers when you slept for less than an hour and a half the night before and your head hurts so bad you had to wake and bake just to make it out of bed in the morning (crap - did I say that out loud?  And it's been...
Mr. Speakers did this with revisions to the Mad Dog and with the Alpha Dog. Granted, he is a smaller company, at least now.I agree. The PM-1 is the more premium product. Tahoe and Escalade?
The PM-2 is a nice, high quality headphone.  The PM-1 is one of the most beautifully made headphones I've seen to date.  That is worth $400 to some folks.  For me, if not for the generosity of Oppo, I would have waited for the PM-2, and always lusted after the PM-1.  (Usual caveat - beta tester, very positively tilted opinion).
For Northern CA: 680 Danville to Concord Friday at 4, 5 and 6 PM.
Hah! The 405 at 3 PM. NOTHING can be driven in a fun manner at that time on the 405!
I spent many years in the restaurant business. Many stories of essentially the steak being better at $50 with a white table cloth and well tipped waiter than it was at $18 served by Flo. Well actually, I get that also. I won't drop $10 on a blackjack table, but I'll spend $150 a head on a nice dinner anytime I can get away with it (works out to about twice a year, give or take). I guess value is relative to one's enjoyment after all...
In a reasonable world, I agree. In the real world, my personal belief is that the aim is not necessarily always chasing those diminishing returns so much as it is using style, buzzwords, packaging and prose to separate the well heeled but insecure audiophile from his money. Sort of like the Ferrari side of the Corvette vs Ferrari argument. Wait. I just shot my whole point in the foot. I'll never own a Ferarri, but thanks to a fun afternoon sponsored by my lovely wife, I...
Very true.  And the measure of a "skilled" marketeer Who can co a lot with a little…..  Actually, as I think about it, that is a true, and not necessarily defamatory statement, though it started out that way.  The unnamed company in the article started out to fill a part of the high end niche, and has done so quite successfully.  Schiit has done the same, down market a bit.  Both successes owe quite a bit to skilled marketing, and to products that apparently over deliver....