Posts by aamefford

During my search for a nice, right sized DAC to use with the liquid carbon, I have run across the Emotiva DC-1.  I point it out, as it's specs state "Pro level output at the balanced output".  This pro level output is +6 dbV.  Is this excessive for the liquid carbon?  In other words, is the gain going to end up being way too high with this level?  I want to avoid running too high of a signal into the amp, and not having enough volume travel to adequately adjust volume on...
Output impedance of the HA-1 is .5R balanced, 0.7R single ended.  Damping factor for a 20R headphone ought to be around 30 to 40.  Additionally, the planars are pretty much a resistive load, with a pretty linear impedance vs. frequency curve.  Should be fine, and sounded fine.
I really liked the Liquid Carbon with the Primes when I heard it Saturday.  Caveat of meet conditions, unfamiliar and pretty decent source.  I owned the HIFI-M8 while I had the Alpha Dogs, which seem to have pretty similar power requirements to the Primes, which I own now.  If you need easily (trans)portable, the HIFI-M8 works really well, and even has 5-ish hours of battery playback.  I suspect the LQ may sound just a bit better though.  I'm going off of faded memory...
@preproman - as far as I know, HE6 was stock. I've heard it on a small tripath speaker amp - I don't recall which one, but it was popular with HE6 owners a while back. I have yet to hear it on a big vintage amp or the Emotiva that is popular with HE6 owners. I really look forward to your thoughts when you get the Ether. I am a fan of the HE6.
Aggghhhh!  Woulda shoulda coulda!  I should have compared the Ether and HE1000 to my PM-1's!  I'm such a dipstick.  I've been thinking of trading PM-1's for Ethers, but I never listened back to back.  Dumb.  I'm listening to the PM-1's right now, and I really do like them.  They do not have so much of the effortless quality that the Ether possesses, but they are a really nice, comfortable listen.
I find the bass extension excellent. The Liquid Carbon is an outstanding pairing. I had the pleasure yesterday. Really very good. I have the primes and ordered the carbon. Needless to say, I was delighted!
I've heard the HD800 half a dozen or so times. This is the first te I've actually if not liked them, come to respect them. They are a heck of a headphone, just not quite my preference.
I'm not so much a fan of Audeze, they are just not comfortable to me. I do like the sound of theLCD3 and X though. I keep harping on the effortless quality the Ethers have, but it is a lot of what impressed me about them. I don't get that so much from the Audeze line. Don't put too much stock in my comments as compared to the Audeze though - I did not do direct comparisons with them. Audeze is less my cup of tea. That's just me, many love them. Sorry I'm not much help here.
The HE1000 costs like $3000. If that kind of money was no object to me, I'd own one. It's really good. It has the "effortless" quality that I struggle to put into words in spades, it is comfortable, great bass extension, great impact and just sounds luscious across the frequency band. It is a pretty amazing headphone.The Ether costs half as much, has the same effortless quality. All the bass extension but a bit less impact. The Ether's treble may be attenuated slightly as...
A few of us at the SF Bay mini meet yesterday listened to the HE6, Ether and HD800 through a Rag/Ygg Rig and a Beautiful DIY build Dynalo MK2 fully balanced amp.  On both amps, the HE6 was well driven.  I've always been a fan of the HE6, though so far never enough to commit to buying and building a rig for them. The HE6 did it's usual with great bass impact, nice mids and extended but occasionally sharp treble - a note here that I am very sensitive to treble frequencies,...