Posts by aamefford

I'm pretty interested in the Emotiva as well.  I have heard good things.  I would like to find something good, balanced, and decent size as compared to the LC, and not ESS 9018 (or ESS at all) based.  My HA-1 is ESS 9018 based, so I already have that flavor in the house. Interesting, I also have the Northern Fidelity NF DAC, which I just realized has XLR balanced outputs, so I'll probably stand pat for a while with that and the Liquid Carbon.  It is a decent dac, and nice...
I have no interest in using the U12 with the X12 - on the contrary, it should not be necessary unless the USB implementation in the X12 is crappy.  I guess that is the root of the question - is the implementation of USB in the X12 excellent?
    I see references to using the U12 into the X12 in other threads about the Gustard products.  As I (and likely others) will be using USB almost exclusively, how is the USB implementation?
12.3" x 7.5" x 2.8", not too bad compared to the LC, which I thought was about 10" x 6.5" x 1.5"? LC sitting on top would make a reasonable sized stack.  Not easily transportable though.  Anybody heard one?
I have another possible contender - ifi micro iDac.  Several on this thread were sort of giddy about the iDSD, which has DSD capability, a battery and a headphone amp, none of which I care about.  The iDAC on the other hand, has a USB B port on the back, and RCA out on the front.   Per the list 1. Transportable (maybe even portable). No bigger than the Liquid Carbon - CHECK 2. Balanced output. Dual 3-pin XLR would be best, but in a pinch, any balanced output will do -...
Regarding pad removal @Soundsgoodtome, I'm no help either.  Careful fiddling, knowing the worse you could do is wreck a set of pads, and have to send them to Oppo and pay the "you worked on it first and then brought it to us" rate?  Maybe check and be sure they have spare pads to install first.  If you tackle it - Pics or it didn't happen!   I am betting on glue somewhere, that will maybe melt with a heat gun.  Just a wild guess though.
If you have someone build a cable for you, or build one yourself, I have found it convenient to have the amp end terminated to mini XLR.  I then have 3 connector ends made, terminated in mating mini XLR connectors - 4 pin XLR for balanced wired connection, 1/4" and 1/8".  Make the adapter part a little longer than you think you need.  I have 2 cables like this, both with adapter ends at about 9" to 1' long.  Next time, I'll have the adapter ends at 18" to 2' long.  This...
  Yup.  I'll pull one out of the closet from an old computer or TV or something.  I'm 100% sure enough electricity will get from the power strip / surge protector to the amp.  But then again, these are my XLR interconnect choice.... No, I'm not slamming other's choices for nice cables.  I occasionally have cable envy.  I just don't have the budget to satisfy my cable envy.  I do think the Liquid Carbon is worthy of nice cables if one so desires.
You like me!  You really really like me! (couldn't resist ) Mmmmm. foreskin I mean Unicorn!  Never mind….  Yes.  Of course.  I'm a boneheadus souffleus - you would expect less? No, seriously, straight mono price for me.  I was gonna get the Pyst from Schiit, but their product description said something about or go to mono price and save some money.  Plus, I may need the extra length.  (TWSS).  I'm just not a cable guy. Thank you for the ribbing though - I expected nothing...
My interconnects are on the way!