Posts by aamefford

I'm late to this thread - but this made me spit coffee on my monitor. I had the chance to speak with Louis, and to hear the Enigma, Paradox and Slant at the Bay Area meet.  Caveat - "My name is aamefford, and own and like the Alpha Dogs."  "Hi aamefford..." That said, and the additional caveat of "meet conditions" (loud room, unfamiliar rig, unfamiliar music, etc.).  I've only gotten to about page 7 or 8 (wherever the above quote is that made me spit coffee).  The comments...
Know what you mean.  I don't hear the microphonics, and the cable is actually pretty good.  That said, I kind of plan to DIY or commission a more flexible and lighter single ended cable.
If I could get the Lyr to sound a bit more articulate, and a bit less warm a fuzzy, that would be an option, aplus they sell at a decent price used.  I'm not real interested in the whole tube rolling thing, I'm more set it and forget it.  I owned the Soloist SL for about 3 months.  I sold it due to lack of head time, I'm doing some testing on a currently nameless amp, so any headphone time I get goes there.  Real reason isA) I change gear like a clothes horse changes...
The WA7 is really nice with the AD's.  I've had the chance a couple times.  Now that I think about it..... And.... hence my concern!  I've had the same experience with the Burson Soloist SL - sounds so good, and so non-fatiguing, that I keep turning it up.  Hmmm.... now that I think about it, maybe plan A of jumping up to the Soloist is not such a bad idea.  I really liked the SL a lot.  I have heard the Lyr a couple of times, but meet settings with random (to me) tubes. ...
Anyone using the following amps with the Alpha Dogs - for "comfortable listening" (as in, "my ears don't ring after 2 hours straight, and I'm not deaf") - What Gain Setting are you using, and what is the volume setting? (9 oclock, 12 oclock, etc).   Schiit Asgard   Schiit Lyr   Schitt Mjolnir   Burson Soloist   If you have recommendations of other pairings you like, maybe shoot those over in a PM, so we don't turn this into the Alpha Dog Amp Thread.  I'm really...
Try the disks.  They slip in super easy, just go right under the padded part, from the outside.  No need to take the pads off.  It takes about 10 seconds, seriously.  The effect is very surprising, and surprisingly subtle.  It may not be the right sound for you, but it was a big surprise to me.  I didn't think I'd like them, and they are now always installed in my Alphas.
  The HD650 is a great pairing, but as NZheadcase says, you did NOT describe the HD650 sound signature.  It has everything but sparkling highs.  Details are all there, but a bit attenuated.  I love the HD650, fwiw.
Man, the solder iron burns are cracking me up.  I once pulled a "barn door" out of a 750 or so Watt Fresnel stage light.  I was quick - caught it in mid air.  You could actually see the little puffs of burnt finger go up.  (or that could be the result of the recreational euphoriant that was in use at the time - late 70's / early 80's - exact details get a bit hazy during that decade...)
You'll like them. The matte black looks really good. If I'd ended up with them instead, I wouldn't want to trade.
Hah - I agree.  I had just gotten the burgundy when I attended the SF Bay meet.  I was wondering if I should have gotten the black.  The matte black is really cool, but the standard burgundy just can't be done justice in photos.  It really looks good.