Posts by aamefford

Wow - you have a pretty nice rig right now.  I had this for a while.  I really only let it go because an Oppo HA-1 entered my life at no cost (Gift from Oppo to beta testers - fanboy alert!).  I am considering the Bifrost Uber again for the Liquid Carbon, though I really would prefer balanced out (no reason other than because the LC has balanced in - I have no reason to believe it will sound any better).  Anyway, I think the Asgard2 is kind of an unsung hero.  That said,...
The PM-3 sounds good enough out of an iPhone that I have parted with all my portable amps and dacs.  It's nice to simplify.    Edit - @robm321  This is a comment on the PM-3. I reread it, and it sort of sounds like a slam to your post.  It isn't.  I love a good portable rig (and I bet yours sounds awesome!). I've just gotten to the point for myself that fewer moving parts are better, and the PM-3 sounds good enough out of an iPhone to allow me to eliminate a couple of...
Ermmm. everybody *here* will agree.  I'm not so sure about the GF....
  The HFI models are pretty cheap inexpensive.  Plus, you really won't care if you blow them up by accident, or on purpose.  Oops, said that out loud, didn't I....
How did I completely miss you at the meet?  I guess I spent most of my time running around, listening to the Ether on a bunch of different rigs, listening to the HE1000 and Yggdrasil.  I also completely missed all of the Eddy Current stuff except the Black Widow (which was really nice!)  I pretty much set up my station (had the Oppo stuff) and then bailed and ran around like a goofball.
  I found the following calculator:  http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm Doing my best trained monkey imitation (no offense to any trained monkeys in the audience) I see that +6 dbV is essentially 2 vrms.  This is kinda sorta the input voltage standard, isn't it? Dr. Cavalli - care to weigh in on what would be "reasonable" input levels for the balanced and single ended inputs?
During my search for a nice, right sized DAC to use with the liquid carbon, I have run across the Emotiva DC-1.  I point it out, as it's specs state "Pro level output at the balanced output".  This pro level output is +6 dbV.  Is this excessive for the liquid carbon?  In other words, is the gain going to end up being way too high with this level?  I want to avoid running too high of a signal into the amp, and not having enough volume travel to adequately adjust volume on...
Output impedance of the HA-1 is .5R balanced, 0.7R single ended.  Damping factor for a 20R headphone ought to be around 30 to 40.  Additionally, the planars are pretty much a resistive load, with a pretty linear impedance vs. frequency curve.  Should be fine, and sounded fine.
I really liked the Liquid Carbon with the Primes when I heard it Saturday.  Caveat of meet conditions, unfamiliar and pretty decent source.  I owned the HIFI-M8 while I had the Alpha Dogs, which seem to have pretty similar power requirements to the Primes, which I own now.  If you need easily (trans)portable, the HIFI-M8 works really well, and even has 5-ish hours of battery playback.  I suspect the LQ may sound just a bit better though.  I'm going off of faded memory...
@preproman - as far as I know, HE6 was stock. I've heard it on a small tripath speaker amp - I don't recall which one, but it was popular with HE6 owners a while back. I have yet to hear it on a big vintage amp or the Emotiva that is popular with HE6 owners. I really look forward to your thoughts when you get the Ether. I am a fan of the HE6.