or Connect

Posts by aamefford

Be there by 1 pm!
I paired my primes with ithe Liquid Carbon at the mini-meet back in March.  It sounded really good.  The LC was @jude's demo unit.  I was like a kid, practically plucking jude's sleeve - "wow, this is great, have you heard this with the Primes?" Jude calmly sort of giggled at me, and said something to the effect of "yeah, I have those." (all very good natured.  Jude's a really nice, enthusiastic guy)  We were all pretty focused on the Ether and the HE1000's that were...
Yeah, the Dac-19.  Overall, I prefer the DAC-19 to the HA-1 dac.  I bounced back and forth for a day, and have used the DAC-19 as the dac, and the HA-1 as the amp for the last week or so.  It depends on your tastes, and what you need.  The Dac-19 has noticabley deeper, more impactful bass, seems to be more accurate tone and timbre, and has more natural sounding highs, such as cymals.  The HA-1 has better detail retrieval and more air.  The Dac-19 is R2-R technology, the...
Shoot - now I gotta wear pants.
I still need the Ethers. I bought a Dac I didn't know I needed, and spent half the Ether fund. Anyone want to buy a mint silver HA-1, or maybe a pair of Alpha Primes?Or a kidney?
A long shot that I'll make it. Can I have @NoPants' badge if I make it? (Kidding. Sort of).
I bounced back and forth for a day. The bass depth, definition and extension of the DAC-19, plus the tone and timbre improvement over the HA-1 won me over. I don't think the HA-1 is bright, so much as it lacks bass, and has a kind of artificial and brittle treble. It has better or exaggerated detail retrieval as compared to the DAC-19. I don't dislike the HA-1 dac but I do like the DAC-19 better. I kind of wonder how much of the DAC-19 sound is accurate reproduction and...
I've been listening through my new to me DAC-19 (thanks @bimmer100) into the amp section of myself HA-1 balanced out to the PM-1's. All I can say is very nice, can't wait for the Liquid Carbon! Funny, I'd ignored the PM-1 for a while, and almost sold them. Pretty glad the deal fell apart. I'm really enjoying them at the moment.
Ha!  I remember our conversations! Your thoughts (and a reading of this whole thread) in great part convinced me to give the Dac-19 a try.  You could be writing my first impressions for me!  My experience mirrors yours.  I suspect there are D-S dacs out there that are more pleasant than the HA-1 dac, (which I don't hate, by the way) or the Bifrost Uber (also don't hate that one).  I also suspect they are at the over $1k and up tier.  The R2-R or at least the Dac-19 are...
First bold statement - It's been a while since I've heard anything else in the price range.  This is my first experiment with owning my own R2-R dac.  I've heard the Master 7 quite a while ago, and the Yggy recently enough.  In this price range, I think I'll have to agree, it is tough to beat the DAC=19 10th anniversary Edition. Second bold statement - Aahahahahahahaha!  Hahahahaha!  Ahahahahahahaha! Jokester!  OK, the full statement is true, but still.  Portable!  Oh,...