Posts by aamefford

I would generalize this to most (all?) headphones including the alphas, impedance and gain mismatches considered of course. Some amps are better than others. A decent amp won't make or break a headphone though. A good amp will likely sound better up to some point.
I was going to suggest this, but then realized I have the PM-1 and the Alpha Dog, and a pair of CIEMS.  I didn't want to fall into the old - "When a hammer is hte only tool you have, pretty soon all of your problems start looking like nails" trap.  The bass of the PM-1 and the AD seemed pretty comparable to me as well. As to all the attempts to compare to the HD800 - I keep thinking - what's the point?  I really don't like the HD800 very much...
     And.... "That's what she said..."
In the infamous words of the bully kid on the Simpsons - "ha-ha!"  My true hope is that in some small way, I had something to do with separating you from your money on this one! I'll expect a Lyr impression.  I had a deal set up to buy a used Lyr, and backed out based on the impedance and efficiency of the PM-1.  From other's reports, maybe I shouldn't have.  I ended up with an Asgard 2 paired with a Bifrost Uber (trying some Schiit gear out).  I am pleasantly surprised...
I'm running mine from a Bifrost Uber, with either a macbook Air via USB or an iPhone 5S via a Pure i-20 with a 30 pin to lightning adapter, coax out and coax into the Bifrost.  I have an unnamed for now  highish end all in one with a class A amp section and an ESS 9018 dac.  The all in one is much more aggressive at showing details, giving it the impression of being much brighter.  I find the Asgard 2 / Bifrost to be a bit more relaxed, in a positive way.  I ran into this...
  and another yes.
I don't know your tastes. That said, I'm not too surprised, and expected to hear this sentiment on occasion. No headphone is going to suit all tastes. I really like them, and lots of others seem to. If you require a bright or extremely airy can or a very large sound stage, these may not work for you. If you like the signature though, man are they nice. A really quick broad brush - if you like the midrange Grados more than the Senn HD6xx, you might or might not like the...
Just hooked up my Asgard 2. My switch seemed tight. Quick test drive with the Bifrost Uber. I was pretty pleasantly surprised. More later.
I haven't tried them since about beta 2 during the test phase. I didn't like them as well then. I've been curious, so I'll test drive this weekend and report back.
Nice, aren't they!