Posts by aamefford

I'm getting a custom cable for my Alphas, but strictly for ergonomics - less stiff, and with a mini XLR termination and two adapters, mini XLR to 1/4" stereo, and mini XLR to 4 pin XLR for balanced use.  The stock cable is good, but a bit stiff, and a full size XLR to 1/4" is a bit bulky.  Plus I wanted something new and cool looking…  Do I expect to hear a difference? No - the stock cable is good.  Most studios use the same cabling for most of the recording mics.
*coughcoughobsesivecoughcough* Edit - this from the guy who brings a bag of adapters so I can hook most things to most things...
Yes, for sure.  If you want, I'll have a 4 pin XLR to 1/4" adapter you can borrow, at least for a part of the day.  remind me when the meet gets close.  I have a new cable on the way for my Alphas that will have a mini XLR termination and two adapters, one into 4 pin XLR, and one 1/4" to make it a bit easier.  (Thank you FraGGleR!) The 4 pin to 1/4" adapters pop up on the FS site once in a while.  Mine is an Audeze.  Several of the cable makers can crank one out as well. A...
Yes. Pretty much what I did (with Alpha Dogs) in February at the last bay area meet.  Pretty fun!
To me, basically if you like tubes, you will like the Alphas with tubes.  If you like solid state…  I generally prefer solid state.  I like the Alphas with solid state.  Kinda thinking about a Lyr though…. EDIT - Just reread the above - I'm honestly not trying to be a wanker - The AD's just basically reflect the amp you use.  I like them with solid state, found them a bit syrupy the one time I tried a Lyr, but I think that was as much the choice of tubes as anything.  Dan...
It was worth it or me. one dot and one wafer in each cup got my pair right where I like it.
Oh great....  And I'm kinda, sorta in the market for an amp....  Sigh.  Sorry for my wallet.  Maybe. I'm actually really curious to see how my Asgard 2 stacks up against some of the lower high end stuff (or is that higher mid-fi stuff...).  I'm thinking these, a Burson Soloist/Soloist SL, basically say $400 to $800 solid state.  Strictly on my sound preference, not specs or features or build quality. If anyone wants to plug a likely suspect into my Bifrost Uber side by...
I would generalize this to most (all?) headphones including the alphas, impedance and gain mismatches considered of course. Some amps are better than others. A decent amp won't make or break a headphone though. A good amp will likely sound better up to some point.
I was going to suggest this, but then realized I have the PM-1 and the Alpha Dog, and a pair of CIEMS.  I didn't want to fall into the old - "When a hammer is hte only tool you have, pretty soon all of your problems start looking like nails" trap.  The bass of the PM-1 and the AD seemed pretty comparable to me as well. As to all the attempts to compare to the HD800 - I keep thinking - what's the point?  I really don't like the HD800 very much...
     And.... "That's what she said..."