Posts by aamefford

Currawong's PM-1 impressions should be accurate for the PM-2 as well.  The PM-1 beta group was sent the PM-2 earpads and cable to beta test on the PM-1's.  Per Oppo, these would be the only significant changes that would affect sound signature.  All other changes would be to material and/or finish (matte, painted rather than polished/plated) on the headband and adjustment mechanism parts.  If it is true that the other parts have no sonic effect (I am inclined to accept...
Yes, same thing.  I don't remember what the final correct names are - must be dog treats! Dan tunes them to his spec, pretty much by ear for the final tuning (anyone feel free to correct me if the method has changed).  He is quite consistent, and he has a really good ear.  If it were me, I would spend a couple weeks or a month with them as delivered before fiddlin' around, just to get a good solid handle on how they sound.  "Course that may just be because my moments with...
One dot and one disk in each side.  I think I'll try a second pair of disks at the SF Bay area meet here in July.  Really though, I think the one pair will work out to be ideal.  They were near perfect with just the dots, and I could probably make a case for them being more true to the recording without the single disk.  I just can't make a case for liking them better without the single disk in each cup.  That is what is so cool about the tunability.
  Alright already!  I just got done choking on my coffee!  I am a recovering midwesterner, having lived throughout Central and southwest Wisconsin in the mid 70's and early 80's, in my high school and college years (OK first run through college - in the end, I struck a deal with the UW system; They said never come back, and I agreed...). In a small Central Wisconsin town, the Phone book had this entry: fone - See phone or telephone. Very funny.  In truth, the town had a...
I'll pitch in a little here as well.  A much loved high end bass heavy headphone is the now legendary and departed Denon D7000.  The Denon is one of the headphones I really regret selling.   The Denon to me is a beautiful, lush, warm headphone that wraps it's arms around you and surrounds you with this euphonic, beautiful voice.  It is also bass boosted, and features bass to some degree at all times.  It's faults were the bass slightly overpowering the mids, and...
I didn't know Randy as many of you did.  We interacted a bit in threads.  He was a funny, astute member of any conversation.  I am saddened by the loss of a member of our family, and our community.  May our Lord set a place at his table for you Randy, and may he be with your family and friends in this time of need.  Godspeed Randy.
I expected nothing less - cheers for that. Though bourbons have become mildly interesting. At least as interesting as they can be to a reformed lush and near tea totaler...
Oh no worries. I was just having a bit of fun, I'm pretty sure the rest were as well. I hope no hard feelings from my comment. None were intended!
  Yup. Especially @HeyWaj10's post.  It just feels like solid quality to me.  I know something is going on.  My Oppo HA-1 does the same thing when inputs are changed or sample rates change.
Subtle sarcasm?  REALLY?  NOOOOooooo.... sorry, couldn't resist.