or Connect

Posts by aamefford

Just a note - downloaded and installed v1.0.5 on my 2011 MacBook Air with no issues. I formatted the blank card on the QP1R first. Booted up with new firmware. Completely painless.
I just demo'd mine a little bit.  It is lovely, very solid, wheel feels cheap.  UI doesn't completely stink.  Actually not that bad.  Kind of iPod classic flashback, with a cheap feeling wheel.  It works fine though.  Quick sound impression - it sounds good, quite detailed, seems to drive the Ether C well, but it will take a while for me to decide for sure.  It makes a really nice transport out of the optical output into my desktop dac as well.  The Questyle case is really...
@moedawg140 , you are a reviewing fiend in this DAP and DAP/headphone pairing arena - thank you.   I finally get to pick up my QP1R today z9it's been sitting in my shop since Wednesday).  I'll report back in a couple of days or so.  Biggest "IF" for me right now, is IF I can live without streaming Tidal.  Funny, a year or so ago I knew nothing of Tidal, and now I really don't want to part with it....   Looking forward to the extended (as in I bought it, hope I like it)...
The bass response is good (ok, stunning), in that it is fast, and dives very deep in the sub bass, and is clean and accurate in mid-bass and low mid region.  What the Ether C does not do, at least to anywhere near the same degree, is offer the upper bass / low mid boost as the much loved Denon D7000 or the more current Fostex TH900 or I'm sure many others.  This upper bass low mids seems to me to where the "bass" of a (and I use this term without derision) bass head's...
My experience with Ether C burn in:   Plug in and play, straight out of the box - "Whoa!  These sound like *** What have I done?   Come back a few hours later - "oh, ok.  the pleats or corrugations or whatever really do need breaking in - these sound really good."   Just 'cause I'm supposed to - let them run in for 48 hours straight, but find out that the music stopped.  At some point.  "OK, I guess they are getting better, or I'm getting used to them.  Wish I knew...
Very nice review Tyll, thank you. I agree with all the good, and I understand your statements about the bass. I find 2 black pads helps here for me. A slight reduction in treble, plenty of detail left for my taste, and a bit more bass. It works well for my listening enjoyment. I pull the 2 black pads back out and use them "naked" if I feel the need to make a science project out of my listing session.Edit - I totally forgot to mention - I am in San Diego this weekend. Dan...
"Johnsons - as far as the eye can see…"
I'm using 1.1 with 2 black pads. Mostly acoustic, vocals, some blues and folk stuff, rock. I'd probably go one or zero for classical music.
Why is it you can write very well and sketch so well and I struggle with stick figures and write like an engineer - brief accurate and boring, or verbose and uhhh, boring? That is a back handed compliment by the way. Very cool art.
I used to use my iPhone 5s as a transport into my Dac-19 with USB 32. It was always finicky about the order of steps to connect to th Dac-19. Now it is completely random with a slim chance of connecting and working. Anyone out there committing the sacrilege of iPhone transport and having it work reliably? If so, which USB implementation? USB32, Amanaro or XMOS? Thank you!