Posts by aamefford

The soloist SL is a totally unsung hero. It paired beautifully with my AD's. I don't doubt it is equally wonderful with the Primes. Mine is sold, not for any fault of its own, I just like trading gear around. Glad you are enjoying the SL - I obviously think highly of it as well.
Nice - LOL!
I am beta testing the PM-3 and HA-2. A very nice combo based on beta units. I use the PM-3 with my iphone most of the time. It sounds great, and is just easier than plugging into the HA-2 for a quick listen. Usual beta disclaimers, things may change up to release, etc.
We've met once or twice at a couple of northern CA meets.  I remember that you and I raved about different headphones, and definitely had different preferences.  From what I remember, I'm not surprised the Primes were less to your taste.  I pretty much agree with your statements.  Funny, I love the primes, don't like the LCD2.x all that much, and I love the LCD3. I recall Dan mentioning that there is a several hour like 8 or 10 or 12 hour burn in that is something to do...
Agh. The bad news - I won't be there. The good news - I'll be in Hawaii visiting my dad. Please post a great impressions thread, and please have a blast, all!
Agreed.  Well stated.  I do find differences, even when this is the supposed stated design goal.  I think the issue is humans getting in the way.  The design goal itself ends up being subjective when different humans do the designing and listening.  The premise, though, is solid. Also agreed.  I LOVE shiny things for sure!
Not bad.  Tyll did almost this with a couple pairs of AKG702's (I think). Ran one for weeks or months, set the other aside, ran his test suite on both, and listened.  He believed he uncovered very slight differences that point to burn in being a true phenomenon.  Or not.  It was not blind or double blind though still a pretty objective test. I generally stop reading posts once they hit comments along the lines of 100, 400, months of burn in.  Falls into the "whatever"...
I've heard several of Louis' cans (Slant, Paradox, Enigma) early this year - 2014.  They are great.  I had my Alpha Dogs at the time, and had them to compare.  At the time, the AD's suited my style and needs a bit better.  Granted, a pretty short listening session during meet conditions.  I've got the Primes now, upgraded from the AD's.  I wish I could repeat the comparison.  I don't notice issue with the Primes' bass, though it is more aural than visceral unless the...
I'm looking for a small speaker amp around $100.  Decent headphone capability is nice, but not necessary.  I have a dead Maverick Audio tube amp (semi DOA right channel).  I think it is a victim of shipping damage.  I bought it used.  To Maverick Audio's credit, they have offered a very reasonably priced replacement.  I think I'll pass on this, chalk the damage up to losses from buying used, and look for a speaker amp.  Let me know what you may have via PM please.  Would...
I should add that the HA-1 is a pretty brilliant piece of kit, and I am using it very happily as my primary rig.  Regardless of other rigs that may show up in my life, if I can afford to keep the HA-1, I will.  It sounds excellent, and is just so versatile. Fit and finish are unparalleled, and the display is just cool. Oh, and it has a remote.  This is great, because I adjust the volume a bunch, and sometimes, it's just to hard to reach over the the actual volume knob.... ...