Posts by aamefford

For Northern CA: 680 Danville to Concord Friday at 4, 5 and 6 PM.
Hah! The 405 at 3 PM. NOTHING can be driven in a fun manner at that time on the 405!
I spent many years in the restaurant business. Many stories of essentially the steak being better at $50 with a white table cloth and well tipped waiter than it was at $18 served by Flo. Well actually, I get that also. I won't drop $10 on a blackjack table, but I'll spend $150 a head on a nice dinner anytime I can get away with it (works out to about twice a year, give or take). I guess value is relative to one's enjoyment after all...
In a reasonable world, I agree. In the real world, my personal belief is that the aim is not necessarily always chasing those diminishing returns so much as it is using style, buzzwords, packaging and prose to separate the well heeled but insecure audiophile from his money. Sort of like the Ferrari side of the Corvette vs Ferrari argument. Wait. I just shot my whole point in the foot. I'll never own a Ferarri, but thanks to a fun afternoon sponsored by my lovely wife, I...
Very true.  And the measure of a "skilled" marketeer Who can co a lot with a little…..  Actually, as I think about it, that is a true, and not necessarily defamatory statement, though it started out that way.  The unnamed company in the article started out to fill a part of the high end niche, and has done so quite successfully.  Schiit has done the same, down market a bit.  Both successes owe quite a bit to skilled marketing, and to products that apparently over deliver....
This seems the thread for this - a thread dedicated to a company (Schiit) that produces an excellent product at a realistic price.   The quote below is from a recent article in the Paicific Business Times about a small audio company that shall remain nameless, but is being honored as the "Exporter of the Year."   "Combined, [their] three products — a phono stage, a pre-amplifier and a power amplifier — retail for a little more than $24,000. In the world of high-end...
Oppo was at the SF Bay area meet recently. Their PM-1 had the PM-2 style pads (I *think* they were leather rather than pleather on the PM-1's, could be wrong).  They also had the PM-2's.  Very little difference to my ears.  Caveat - beta tester, free stuff, love those guys….   Edit to add - I am not completely sure these were the final version PM-2 or "alternate" PM-1 pads.  They may have been a near final prototype.  Maybe Hastur-t-y will chime in?
^^^ Thanks for that, lol!
In our shop we assume all of our customers are ass... Uhm challenging so our standard margin covers this. There are a few that are so special they do warrant a GM adder. Oddly (or not) these include other departments within our own company...
"Plain," simple" and "group dynamics" should never be used in the same sentence.