or Connect

Posts by aamefford

I have a Mojo.  I love the thing.  It brings an excellent DAC and a fine amp together in one circuit, in one neat little box.  Sure, the colored marbles for on/off/volume are a little annoying, but they work fine.  It works great with my super sensitive ciems, and with my Ether C's.  It even gets a fair amount of duty as the dac into my 2 channel rig.  All of this tethered to an AK100ii that I bought used for $475, or to my phone if I feel some need to stream Tidal when I...
My experience with MQA is via Tidal. A couple of the master series albums are ones I know well, and are also available in the "regular" Tidal. I was by and large underwhelmed save for one album - I think it was Bowie Ziggy Stardust, but memory is not serving me well right now. That particular album was remastered "better" to my ears. The rest that I listened to were not. As MQA is now available on Tidal, I'll continue to experiment with it. I won't bother with hardware...
My choice would be the Oppo PM3 for your described use case. There are some other good choices as well. I'm not a fan of the DT770, I have not heard the Senns you list. I do like the Senn HD25-1-II. It sounds good and it's bullet proof and rebuildable. It clamps a bit tight though. The Grado SR 80 variants are pretty excellent also for the price, if you can stand a bit of brightness. All I've listed should work great from a phone or Mac. There's other good stuff out...
Or not. I use Tidal a lot. I've used offline mode maybe 5 times in over a year. Different use case for me though. I use it at home mostly, and at lower resolution to stream to my car stereo when driving, via Bluetooth from my phone. I don't generally listen to the AK when out and about. Different needs, different strokes.
AK and Tidal have been a game changer for me. Off line would be nice. There is that little thingy that plugs into the bottom that stores music though....
To add to the balanced vs. SE. All my cables are balanced, or have pigtails to accommodate balanced or SE. Nowadays, all are plugged into a Mojo or a Cavalli Liquid Crimson SE amp. Indeed, it's the circuit.
Whaaaaat, Man?
As we see posted so often:1) You might get used to the signature in a couple of days.2) These actually do break in over several days/hours3) They are not necessarily for everyone.  You may well decide they are not for you! OK, 1 and 3 are pretty much showing off my solid grasp of the obvious.  Anyway, give them a few days at least.  I don't know if the 100+ hours is required for them to burn in or break in enough to decide if you like them.  I recall my non-flow Ether C's...
Wow, this one hurts.  Brain Salad Surgery was on heavy rotation when I was in high school.....  This has been a tough year.