Posts by aamefford

I'm pretty sure Apple TV streams lossy format of some sort. I use it in my speaker rig all the time though. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an Audio-GD Dac19. It is huge (less than 1" smaller in all dimensions than my HA-1) and single ended (no biggie to me), but seems to check the other boxes.
My lovely wife had one and loved it. A fine family car. Driving it? My analogy stands…
"Pictures guy with a backpack with BIG self-retracting cord reel..."
I went for 1' long ones from monoprice. They look to be a good length.  They should allow a bit of flexibility on where I stack the amp and dac, and still be short enough if the dac and amp XLR's are right on top of each other.  Funny, I may now end up with an SE dac instead.  I am not worried about sound quality I likely will not be able to tell a difference between a good SE dac using the L. Carbon's splitter/inverter vs. a good balanced out dac.  Luckily, monoprice...
Regarding the science vs. art, objective vs. subjective debate.  The two really go hand in hand.  Analogies?  Sure!   Restaurants/chefs/food (I spent 10 years managing high end (and a couple of low end) restaurants) - A good chef has a good grasp of solid techniques and the science of food.  Every good chef also has a good grasp of what tastes good.  The science helps him get to good taste, but in the end, if it doesn't taste good and look good when prepared and plated,...
After a few high end stereo shows, and reading ANY of the audiophile rags, I balk at the label. GearSlut headphone and music aficionado I'll answer to though.
I have limited experience with Stax, but a (small, meet conditions) bit of time with 007,009 and a couple of others. The Ethers had me thinking Stax also. So did the HE1000. The Ethers sure impressed me.
I know this is the common wisdom here. Hell I bought into it until i did my own non scientific non blind, rough attempts at volume matching etc. test. I did like the Bifrost Uber (non-sabre) a little better. The difference was so small that I kept the HA-1 for the features. IMHO, etc. of course.
We all hear what we hear, of course. I dissent a bit here, only because I did comparisons with HA-1 and Bifrost Uber into both Asgard2 and HA-1 amps. The difference between the Dacs to me was vanishingly small. Likely expectation bias small. Since the Bifrost Uber is not a sabre chip, I'm starting to question this whole sabre glare issue, that's all.
Oh man, wish I was going! It would be great to see you again. To anyone attending - this balanced Dynalo is a pretty amazing amp, and a beautiful build. Worth seeking out to hear for sure.