Posts by aamefford

I'm looking for a small speaker amp around $100.  Decent headphone capability is nice, but not necessary.  I have a dead Maverick Audio tube amp (semi DOA right channel).  I think it is a victim of shipping damage.  I bought it used.  To Maverick Audio's credit, they have offered a very reasonably priced replacement.  I think I'll pass on this, chalk the damage up to losses from buying used, and look for a speaker amp.  Let me know what you may have via PM please.  Would...
I should add that the HA-1 is a pretty brilliant piece of kit, and I am using it very happily as my primary rig.  Regardless of other rigs that may show up in my life, if I can afford to keep the HA-1, I will.  It sounds excellent, and is just so versatile. Fit and finish are unparalleled, and the display is just cool. Oh, and it has a remote.  This is great, because I adjust the volume a bunch, and sometimes, it's just to hard to reach over the the actual volume knob.... ...
There is a long thread that has more than you ever wanted to know about the Asgard 2.  It is a fine class A amp, sounds great, runs hotter than heck (including a warm volume knob).  It retails at $250 or so, and pops up in the FS section used once in a while.  I had one paired with the Bifrost Uber and found it excellent with my Alpha Dogs.  I only sold it because I also received an Oppo HA-1.  On pure sound quality, the Schiit stack edged out the HA-1 by the width of a...
Oh, the Asgard2 is kind of an unsung hero also. It is a heck of a good amp.
I have the Microstreamer with the lower power firmware for IEMs. With that setup, it struggles to provide adequate volume with the primes. I haven't tried the higher power firmware. Something like a Pico DAC/amp would work ok. I know for sure that the ibasso pb2 drives the Alpja Dogs quite well.
The HA-1 pairs nicely with the Primes.  Oppo did a nice job with the ESS chip.  Not everyone likes the HA-1.  For $1199 or whatever it costs, it is a darned nice all in one.  Both the dac and amp punch above their weight, fit and finish are unsurpassed, and the user interface is cool. Oh, I'll eventually get a coherent post out about how much I like the Primes (a lot) and why.  Suffice to say I am (sort of) surprised they live up to all the hype, given the amount of self...
 "That's what she said" I'm sorry!  I can't help myself!
No, seriously - my dog ate my Alpha Primes?
"I've been every where". With respect in my voice.
To the burn in comments above - I think it is legitimate on mechanical systems such as transducers.  I'm a little skeptical on electronics and wires.  Note - Please let's not start a burn in side track on components other than the Primes.  I will not be surprised to find some changes over a few hours with them.   Oh - @swspiers - great minds.....  I've been using that track to test exactly the audibility of that kind of low bass rattle / rumble for a few years now.  It's...