Posts by AiDee

I"m not sure there are that many impressions in any 23 pages of Head fi, selected at random...
Surprisingly, a humble Tung Sol 12AU7A, paired with the TS 5Y3GT and stock power tubes.I got a TS 12AU7 Black (1952) off Ebay as backup. Looks genuine. It's not significantly better or special sounding than the plain 12AU7 but it only got a few hours burn in.I don't claim this is 'the best' tube combo for the Taboo II/LCD3F but it's definitely 'good' TME. My preference is neutral, transparent, lots of micro-detail and micro-dynamics.Btw, the 'U' is low-gain. My Taboo is...
Hey it's the end of the world dude, gotta expect some twilight zone stuff. Jason, how many Ragnaroks have to be turned on simultaneously to create a black hole that swallows the earth...
+1, this is a nice review. Informative and useful. The background was useful too - every review should include it. Could the hum be GD humming the tune he was just listening to, without realising it?
Lord Soth - I was trying to remember your handle yesterday! Another source of great Decware/tube advice! With my Taboo II the Tung Sol 5Y3, stock power tubes and the right tube up-front with LCD2r1 has yielded some amazingly transparent, detailed and "like being there" moments... Alas, the LCD3F - though a better phone overall - needs different tubes and I haven't quite recreated that experience yet.
Sorry to hear you're hp and amp-less Nick. As you say, you'll get back into it for sure. There's always other demands we have to balance in life. Everything in its time. And thanks again for the review - it is one of the best resources we Decware followers have
The definitive way to determine your Fazor credentials - other than the touch test - is to ask Audez'e! Quoting your serial number to us is not the way. What's our opinion worth? There's been some evidence in the past the serial numbers aren't serial - they increment randomly. Maybe true, maybe not...
^ Yep, I ordered a pair of the GZ32 the other night. Glad to hear of your success with the Phillips. Backstory: Over the weekend I chucked a Sylvania 5U4G (barely passable in Nick's review) into my Taboo and couldn't believe how dark (and hence 'full-toned') it sounded. I previously thought rectifiers are very subtle. Live and learn. The 5U4G is much more successful in the CSP2! Given Nick found it nothing special, this is promising for other tubes he recommended as well...
I'm pleased to learn I'm so susceptible to a pretty DAC But I'm susceptible to pretty faces too, so what's new?! ps: living in New Zealand, choice is limited as the domestic resale market is essentially non-existent in our tiny population. Trying a PWD2 (or similarly priced competitors) would have to be an outright purchase, though I dearly wanted to at one time. Having to be 240V, there'd be no chance of re-selling into the American market. The Ygg - if I buy - will...
^ By far the BMC PureDAC is the best DAC I have heard (the others being Meier StageDAC, Beresford Bushmaster, Schiit Bifrost - uber not yet installed, Eastern Electric MiniMax). But I have not heard any of the DACs or DAC-combinations (e.g. Bifrost+Wyred) listed here. IIRC Boatheelmusic tried it but detected the Sabre 'digital sheen' I don't hear this (maybe brain hasn't learned to recognise it) but interestingly my other Sabre dac the MiniMax comes bottom of my stable....