Posts by AiDee

+1.Speaking for myself, whilst I'm interested to hear about the UltraDAC I don't see a need to 'upgrade' to it. I haven't finished exploring yet all the nuances of the PureDAC (and I was one of the first purchasers)! I imagine it will be some two years before there is nothing left to surprise me in my music library from the Pure.In my view, a bigger immediate upgrade is likely to come by replacing a different part of my reproduction chain. This might or might not come from...
I certainly had to alter the driver tube of my main amp (Decware Taboo II) to compensate for the shift from LCD2r1 to LCD3F. However, it's not as simple as "use a less bright tube". I think it's more about how well the tube exploits the 3F's capabilities (probably the 3C's as well). And concerning that "brighter" recommendation for older LCDs: not true in the case of the Meier SS amps TME. The brighter, drier Meier Concerto was good with the LCD2r1 but the more...
Prep asked about your "bent steel casework, it gathers too much energy for my liking" part, not what you read in the online review. That's why prep highlighted it in bold.I'm curious too. How can you tell., i.e. how are the differences from bent steel casework gathering too much energy reflected in the sound?
^ And as the CSP3 is merely the CSP2+1 - this is simple arithmetic! - longbow's findings should apply in either case pretty much
Badas, best advice is ignore "everyone" and be patient. Your first set-up(s) will not be your last! You will discover you hear some things the same as others, some things different. And that in any case this will keep changing: your own listening discrimination, preferences and capabilities (= hearing + brain decoding) will change markedly. There are outstanding tube amps, outstanding SS and outstanding hybrids. Which you will prefer cannot be predicted until you...
Same as Maxvla - I've never been notified (and I do occasionally get rep, believe it or not )
Decware Taboo mk II and with the 110 ohms of the LCD-3F the OTL Decware CSP2+ becomes a possibility (but I still much prefer the Taboo). Previously tried Schiit Lyr. Pretty good with my LCD2r1 but now retired from LCD duties. The best tubes became scarce and uber-expensive with this popular amp.
^ Great stuff KmanChu. Usefully detailed and clearly expressed. I'm happy to hear my PureDAC is such good value That NAD (with Puc2) must be pretty darn good! I know purrin et al. think it's ok too, even by their lofty standards
^ strange you had to turn the Asgaard up full power Does your DAC produce standard voltage out (2Vrms)? Could there be a problem there. The original Asgaard was 1W 50 ohms and the Lyr 4W. In terms of sound pressure level that gives the Lyr only a 6dB advantage. Certainly noticeable but not huge. +1 - Schiit is an excellent company.
Gee I'm not sure about the warmer than neutral recommendation, TME of course. I prefer Jan Meier's Classic to the Violectric V100 for example, the V100 being distinctly the warmer of the two. I get best results from tuning my tube amps neutral. Stock, I found the Lyr (original version) too warm and syrupy. I would say avoid dry upstream gear. Audez'es excel at reproducing fine timbral and harmonic detail, which a dry DAC or amp takes away. Makes an Audez'e sound 'quicker'...