Posts by cn11

I chose the Truth version because one, I'm crazy, and two I was told by Idsynchrono that it's been observed they have a touch better extension on both ends as well as being a little more airy and open sounding. I like those qualities, even if the gains are on the minimal side.  
I have a pair inbound... Hopefully here no later than Thursday. Heard Idsynchrono's Dita Answer yesterday, and was impressed to the point I ordered the Truth version once home.
 I totally agree with this sentiment. I have the MG6Pro custom, and you cannot reshell without destroying the dynamic driver it is produced around. So that truly has Zilch resale value. It's basically just a paperweight at this point (unless by some stroke of miracles they manage to completely overhaul their house sound with a next driver update-- as current owners can upgrade to the new driver model for $250).  Also, I have been totally enjoying this crop of high end...
  Maybe my home rig... It's not getting used much these days...
Yep, me too, has my attention now as well. Guess I'm gonna have to sell a kidney to afford these though. Or sell the 846 ahead of time to partially fund it... We'll see.
 There's a sound enhancement disable trick which causes a huge bump in output power (just go back a few pages in the thread, it's explained by PPCG-- I have no idea how he figured this out... & it's confirmed to work on the F886/7 as well). But you have nothing available in the way of EQ, or presets, or the like. Just flat. However you get significantly better battery life (at least I do). 
 Ah, I see... I didn't really like Clearaudio+, so the only enhancements I used were DSEE and Dynamic Normalizer (which is the main one I miss due to the volume leveling between different albums). Compared to these, the output trick definitely had better instrument placement and more space.   Wow, the ER-4S is really power hungry. Didn't realize how much so. 
 You are finding instrument placement within the soundstage worsened by disabling the sound enhancements? 
 I think you are referring to the F886/7 player. Supposedly the differences are some of the internal components, such as electricals, capacitors, and the headphone port being a higher end brass unit. The S-Master amp section is the same if I recall correctly. The internal upgrades do add up to a small gain in SQ, but consensus is the F886/7 series is a very close sibling and gets you the essence of the ZX1 (and it would be a great choice if someone didn't want to spend the...
Just give the output power bump / sound enhancement disable trick a try. I'm sure you won't find it lacking for power then.