or Connect

Posts by Hifihedgehog

Good thing you don't own Etymotics, those silly, willy treble-ridden thingies. If you think the Phonaks with gray filters are all treble and no bass, Ety's would be like an unrefined Dilithium crystal-powered, mega amplified, high frequency phaser firing a hole into the center of your eardrums. Your ears would look like a pair of Ceti Eels had just vacated your cerebral cavity. (I beg to differ on the treble quibble, by the way. The Phonaks with gray filters sound balanced...
Hopefully, I'll get a third pair before they're all gone!
I know, right? It doe not matter how much or what form the gear is so long as it makes the listener the happiest. Consistently over the last week and a half, I really tried my best to justify keeping the Pioneers around but I keep finding myself inkling to listen with the Phonaks every single time because of their better openness, balance and detail. Price-wise, the Phonaks actually cost the same through a discount as the Pioneers. Adding the portability factor on top of...
It is the PFE 022. With gray filters, it and the PFE 011 are exactly identical to the PFE 111, PFE 121 and PFE 132. The only difference here is the lower Perfect Bass models comes with the only accessories of one pair of green filters and three pairs of silicon tips in small, medium and large. The green filters make it sound veiled and muddy.
I have some good and bad news to share. The good news is I still think the Pioneer SE-A1000 is best sub-$500 open headphones on the market--things like the teutonic triple (AKG K701, Sennheiser HD 600, Beyerdynamic DT 880) are inferior. The bad news is they are no longer my favorite sub-$500 headphones. I just got the Phonak PFE's last week, promptly installed the gray filters and, with crossfeed on, I am hearing the closest thing to a perfect recording reproduction I have...
I sold off my Sennheiser HD 600 and got some different ones. I actually did not get around to updating my sig until I was sure I liked them. Good thing I followed my instincts: I loved the Pioneer SE-A1000 to bits, which I have raved about a lot here in the forums--more than the HD 6x0, Q701/K702 and DT 990/DT 880/DT 860 I have demoed or owned. The funny thing is, I just got a Phonak Audeo PFE and installed gray filters and none of the headphones or earphones I heard...
When going for b stock or open box headphones, it is a luck of the draw sort of deal. A year or so ago, I had the lucky experience of purchasing a $130 used, like new AKG Q701 from Amazon Warehouse. It actually turned out to be a new, unopened box holding the older Austrian model. Personally, I don't care if a pair of headphones is new or used so long as all of its sound performance is still there and its physical build is still intact and looks decent.
Having owned both, I believe the HifimeDIY is on par or better than the ODAC. I will likely get the HifimeDIY in the very near future because the ODAC offered nothing over it for me. (For your information, I have listened to all these headphones to date, many of them with my signature's listed equipment:) [[SPOILER]]  The HifimeDIY has better crosstalk performance and, given its inferior testing equipment compared to the ODAC's testing equipment, it has likely equal or...
Already published. See three comments above in the post by GearMe. 
A quick public service announcement on the status of the Phonak delays from last week: due to the unexpected heavy snowfall in the Northeast and the supplier switching warehouses, Earphone Solutions had experienced a week delay for Phonak Audeo PFE earphones during last week's sale. However, as of today, having spoken to the owner himself Flavio Teixeira and seeing my original tracking number suddenly show updated progress, I can confirm that the products have indeed...