Posts by Hifihedgehog

It has more than enough voltage and power output. According to InnerFidelity, the 600-ohm model requires .43 mV to reach 90 dB SPL. Performing the necessary calculations based on a 96 dB/mV sensitivity, you would need the following voltage and wattage drive capability to achieve these listed loudness levels:Listening Loudness Voltage Needed Current Needed Power Needed Safe85 dB SPL0.22 Vrms0.37 mA0.08 mWModerate100 dB SPL1.23 Vrms2.05 mA2.52 mWFairly Loud (110 dB SPL3.88...
I tell you, the folklore out there goes every which way. Sometimes, it is pure speculation that is innocently based in junk science and wishful thinking. However, facts remain facts and Beyerdynamic states on their website that the 600-ohm drivers are, indeed, lighter than the 250-ohm drivers, which have in their own words "minimal moving mass." I have read at least one account on Head-Fi from a user who bought replacement drivers in both ohm ratings and confirmed the...
Ditto. Although the Head-Fi'er below has since obtained many more flagships since he wrote this, at the time he considered his DT 880 Premium 600 to be a great companion to his Orpheus. 'Nuff said.Quote:Originally Posted by wavoman As many have already posted, we all hear differently.  Physical measurements of headphones are fun and might give you some pre-purchase guidance, but actually hearing/auditioning for some time with your own music (if you are buying headphones...
I realize this thread is rather old and the OP already had his question answered but, for the benefit of silent lurkers, let me note one key fact the OP was likely unaware of. His "motherboard" or "onboard" audio is actually the highly capable, premium SupremeFX 2015 Audio integrated sound card on his Asus motherboard. Contrary to popular notion, this is not your typical run-of-the-mill Realtek, wimpy, hiss-prone type of audio solution. This competes with full-pledged...
I myself am unsure which specific parts are to blame since I am student of computer engineering and not skilled in mechanical engineering. But my best guess would be the parts directly affecting the drivers' resonance, pressure level, and overall wave propagation would be the ones closest to it. That would mean lead me to believe that the material in front and in back of the driver would be among the first candidates as culprits. The pads are identical which would...
   I have found that sometimes we, as humans in a modern busy world saturated with heavy distorting mainstream audio products across its landscape, can mistake low distortion for clarity in sum. In actuality, clarity is a two-sided coin requiring the synergy of both a neutral sound response and low distortion across that entire audible spectrum. A headphone like the Sennheiser HD 650, for example, can sound more resolving than the Grado Labs SR325 with far more bright and...
That actually makes sense, come to think of it. The DT 990 Pro skimps on design and sound compared to its Premium brethren, where the parts (e.g. back plates and driver covers) nearest to the driver seem to be of far cheaper construction and could potentially have a direct impact on the sound. As for the DT 880 line, the Pro model I owned was built more solidly and it visually did not appear to use construction around the immediate area surrounding the driver that was at...
I do not have my DT 880 Premium 600 ohm yet so I cannot make any claims one way or the other. However, if the DT 880 Pro and Premium product lines are anything like the DT 990 lines, there is a noticeable vast audible improvement stepping up from the Pro to the Premium 600. I owned both the DT 990 Pro and the DT 990 Premium 600 for an extensive duration and the Premium model had much clearer mids, better low level detail, and a more transparent and open soundstage. On the...
You're welcome. Best of luck selling this. The new owner will be very fortunate.Public service announcement, folks: by comparison, a stock Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm just sold for $135 PLUS SHIPPING on eBay and they usually sell for $25-$50 more. This upgrade unit here is an extraordinary bargain so don't pass it up, especially since it comes with a fairly expensive dual entry silver cable upgrade. $120 for this entire package is an absolute steal, and deals like this...
Let me hazard this question since I neglected to ask: does this happen to come with a 3.5mm/ 1/8 inch adapter? I might actually be willing to buy if it does.