Posts by Sonichedgehog360

If anyone is hankering for a pair of trendy cans, the SOL: Republic headphones will be deeply discounted at the Microsoft Store both at their online and brick and mortar stores on a first come, first serve basis.   There are also other excellent deals to come.  It is a part of Microsoft's 12 Days of Deals Christmas Promotion. Let this schedule sheet speak for itself!     Dec 09 - Dell Tablet $99 Dec 10 - Garmin Fitness Watch + $25 Gift card $99.99 Dec 11 - AT&T...
   I would agree that even unmodded the AKG has excellent if not the best soundstaging of the sub $700 headphones I have heard (and also the Grado GS1000/PS1000). Of the two rounder-ups, the HD650, though intimate, sounded restricted and the DT880, though large, a little hallow and too diffuse though both were by and large superior to any other open headphone.
Quincy Jones approves of this mod!   (Of course, not in real life, but I am sure he would if he heard it for himself.)
Pay heed to a word to the wise from your Yoda-eared, canine fount of knowledge.  hehe I couldn't resist!
You are lucky. But I am more lucky to have you to lean on for this valuable information! From my experience, to track down and then reserve just one hour demoing the prestigious HD800 is geographic quagmire, never mind most stores' apprehensiveness to even allow demoing. If the modded Q701 comes that close to approximating the goodness of that dynamic titan, that is wonderful news! I already have a Objective 2 amplifier and a HiFiMeDiy dac at my disposal, so those three...
I heard your recommendation to check out the For Sale/For Trade thread here. Thanks again and I really value your opinion! Like I said before, I was thinking more along the lines of picking up a used Q701 and just modding that. I would only do that as long as it is "close enough" to the K712 Pro. From what I can gather, that seems to be your opinion on the matter. I am still just seeing if anyone else could offer some insight. I just asked how these two compare in the...
Whoops. Sorry, I forgot to keep the context clear. I meant to say "better than the K712" in saying better. I am mainly looking for a comparison between those two. Thanks for double clarifying! I still wonder about how the bass port modded Q701 sound in comparison to the other x70x model offerings.
Interesting. Hmm... So, modded, it does not sound necessarily better. On the warmth scale, where would you guys place them, then? In doing so, let's also add the HD600, HD650 and DT880 in the mix as reference points but keep in mind that I am not considering any of those.  My guess is you would say that on a scale of warmth, it would be (warmest to brightest): HD650, HD600, K712, Q701 (modded), Anniversary edition, Q701, K70x, DT880. Going from unmodded to modded, what...
I am in the position of reconsidering the Q701 but only under the condition that, when modded, it sound better than the K712. My observations are that the K712 appears to be the best sub $1000 all-arounder of the dynamic headphones from all accounts and reviews given on Head-Fi lately. I am just looking for confirmation from some of you guys who have one since a store, you know, would not take too kindly to me modding their demo unit.   If the logic follows that I could...
Speaking of the AKG K812 and Tyll, here is the turkey tidbit hidden in-between the stuffing and gravy of Innerfidelity's Thanksgiving newsletter:Get the full helping here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-november-2013-update