Posts by Hifihedgehog

The best way to get rid of the midbass hump besides a powerful amplifier would be an amplifier with a low impedance output. Also known as a low-z output, a low impedance output would provide a low damping factor so no internal energy builds up. When you have a high-Z output, you create an RL circuit that builds up voltage as the amplifier's resistance and the headphone's inductance react. With this greater voltage, you get greater volume in the blips of the headphone's...
Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh of your pair and I apologize for that. They are definitely great headphones compared to anything consumer-wise. I prefer the DT 990 Pro's vastly over the HD 5xx line which sound confused and veiled. I also like the DT 990 Pro's more than all the Grados I have tried, including the PS 1000. They are definitely a good deal at their sub-$150 new, sub-$75 used price in light of their performance-per-dollar compared to everything out there. It is...
The DT 990 Pro is far inferior to the DT 990 Premium 600's. They have more upper bass and a sharper, less broad mid treble peak and muted upper mids with the net result of a muffled sound with a treble tish. I honestly couldn't stand the Pro's. I loved the Premium's, though. I like them just a bit less than the Denon AH-D5000, which, in turn, I rate a tad less than the DT 880 Premium 600's.
The Surface Pro 4 has one of the best internal DAC/amplifiers in a mainstream consumer product. No hiss, decent clarity, and enough dynamics to go ampless in the interim if you are budget strapped. There is obviously better things out there, but at least the Surface Pro 4 does not lob off upper range clarity and definition like some budget amplifier/DACs do (e.g. FiiO E17).
A pair of Pioneer SP-FS52 Andrew Jones Designed Floorstanding Loudspeakers would be extremely proficient speakers and might just do the trick. They are incredibly neutral with the dust covers on and very detailed and analytical with them off. If they are anything like the BS-41, you might like them a lot. My family has some BS41's along with the corresponding center channel and subwoofer in a home theater setup running off a Denon AVR-S910W AV receiver and the sound is...
Maybe your delivery man is a closet audiophile whose wife has forthwith banned him from the hobby and he is at his wit's end? He could be secretly skimming packages so he can get what little enjoyment he can without the missus knowing. One minor quibble with that: opening other people's mail is stealing, a punishable federal offense, and just plain wrong. Besides the uber inconvenience this has caused you, this would be semi-funny if this was the story behind the story here.
x2. I would like to see an updated Skylab current headphones list (in order of preference) as well.  
FYI, HS Player has been recently pulled from the App Store as well.
Help! I need the .ipa for CanOpener... http://www.head-fi.org/t/834663/help-i-need-the-ipa-file-of-canaopener-for-ios#post_13241993
Help! I need the .ipa for CanOpener... http://www.head-fi.org/t/834663/help-i-need-the-ipa-file-of-canopener-for-ios#post_13241993